Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wallaced

Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Post by wallaced »

Often, only one of our Bishopric members (counselor, usually) presides at Sacrament Meeting. The question has come up if the EQ president can sit on the stand with him. I have heard yes and no....but cannot find any documentation either way. Is there a general church policy, or is this left to the Stake President or local Bishop?
eblood66

Re: Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Post by eblood66 »

If the entire bishopric is absent and no member of the stake presidency is present then Handbook 2 section 18.2 indicates that stake president designates who will preside. Previously it said that would normally be the HP group leader but now it would presumably be the EQ president.

But if a counselor is present and is presiding then as far as I know he could ask whoever he wants to sit on the stand. As far as i know there is no restriction on who the presiding officer can ask to sit up there. In various circumstances there are speakers, those saying prayers, the AP messenger, those who are being presented for recognition or ordination and sometimes the entire choir on the stand. I know of nothing that enumerates anything regarding who may or may not sit with the bishopric on the stand. The only thing that I'm aware of is that section 18.2 does say that stake presiding officers and high councilors should be invited to sit on the stand.

In my experience when we've only had one counselor in Sacrament meeting, the HP group leader would usually sit with him. Now I would expect the EQ president to do so. But I don't know of anything that requires that specifically or even requires that anyone to sit with the counselor.
meccles

Post by meccles »

what about during the primary program? does the Bishop/Bishopric member stay on the stand?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

meccles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 pm what about during the primary program? does the Bishop/Bishopric member stay on the stand?
The main benefits for presiding leaders to sit on the stand are (in no particular order) 1) to see the congregation and think about their needs, 2) for the congregation to see them and know who they are, and 3) for them to easily be able to come to the microphone. However, there's no requirement in the General Handbook that anyone sit on the stand during sacrament meeting, including the bishop – the only mention in the General Handbook is that presiding or visiting leaders should be "invited" to sit on the stand. During a Primary program, I would expect the bishop and his counselors to sit where they are most comfortable, which may be on the stand or in the congregation.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

sbradshaw wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm
meccles wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 pm what about during the primary program? does the Bishop/Bishopric member stay on the stand?
The main benefits for presiding leaders to sit on the stand are (in no particular order) 1) to see the congregation and think about their needs, 2) for the congregation to see them and know who they are, and 3) for them to easily be able to come to the microphone. However, there's no requirement in the General Handbook that anyone sit on the stand during sacrament meeting, including the bishop – the only mention in the General Handbook is that presiding or visiting leaders should be "invited" to sit on the stand. During a Primary program, I would expect the bishop and his counselors to sit where they are most comfortable, which may be on the stand or in the congregation.
Our Stake President has instructed Bishops to not leave the stand during the Primary program. His counselors can go sit with their families, but as the presiding authority, Bishops should not relinquish the stand to the Primary, he further related.

Your mileage may vary
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Our Stake President has instructed Bishops to not leave the stand during the Primary program
Of course that's fine, as long as it's understood that he's doing so within his stewardship and not due to any established general policy. It makes me think of the variation in Mission rules -- how when our local missionaries tell me about changes ,I'm always wondering if it's the Mission President implementing a policy from above (following the lines), or the Mission President receiving inspiration specific to his stewardship (coloring between the lines). Both are completely okay, but the rub comes when somebody interprets local stewardship with general policy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:40 pm Our Stake President has instructed Bishops to not leave the stand during the Primary program. His counselors can go sit with their families, but as the presiding authority, Bishops should not relinquish the stand to the Primary, he further related.
I don't see it in the Handbook now, but I think there was verbiage to the effect that the meeting shouldn't be turned over to any group. I have noticed that many announcements say the time is being turned over. The stake president's directive may have come from this idea.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The bishop still presides at the sacrament meeting. And as Elder Boyd K. Packer once said, it is hard to preside when you are not on the stand.

I usually let my counselors sit with their families and I moved from the center of the Sunbeam class to a more inconspicuous place on the stand. I usually took the opportunity to share a comment or two or my testimony, and it was easier to do that from a location closer to the microphone at the pulpit.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

A question to ask ourselves:

Scenario: Every seat in the chapel and overflow was full...

Question: Would it be inappropriate to go up to the stage and sit in one of those seats?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

simph1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:11 pm A question to ask ourselves:

Scenario: Every seat in the chapel and overflow was full...

Question: Would it be inappropriate to go up to the stage and sit in one of those seats?
I've seen people sit in the choir seats in the stand when the chapel is full; however, I wouldn't recommend walking onto the stand during the meeting unless invited by the person conducting or presiding. If you get there early, you can talk to a leader on the stand and ask. This is the kind of thing that might vary depending on the culture where you live – there aren't a lot of specifics about sitting on the stand in the General Handbook.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”