Paperless Temple Family Ordinances

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
moonman239

Paperless Temple Family Ordinances

Post by moonman239 »

As an environmentalist and a guy who forgets to print out family ordinance cards, it would be extremely wonderful if I could go on my phone, select the temple ordinances I want to do, and then when I get to the temple, I can go to the front desk and tap a button on my phone that would transmit the ordinances to a temple computer for processing. Then, I get an NFC tag that stores all the ordinances to be done, along with any other names assigned by the temple. When it is my turn to do the ordinances, I give this tag to whoever's recording the ordinances, who then scans this tag. Once the ordinance has been completed, he will then tap a button to indicate this, and the ordinance is then recorded on the temple recorder's computer and on Church HQ's computer.
drepouille

Re: Paperless Temple Family Ordinances

Post by drepouille »

Not going to happen. The Church tried using a magnetic strip on recommend holders back in the 1980s to track the flow of ordinances through the temple, but it didn't last long. To implement your suggestion, you would have to carry a live smartphone around the temple with you. Not going to happen.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Paperless Temple Family Ordinances

Post by russellhltn »

If the church wanted to do it, I'd think they'd use the barcode on the temple recommend. It's connected with your MRN which is connected to your FamilySearch login.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”