Sharing living individuals on FamilySearch

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
kpraeger

Re: Sharing living individuals on FamilySearch

Post by kpraeger »

I figured I would bring up this topic again. Has there been any change since a year or more ago? It would be so nice to be able to share my family tree (including the living) with my family. My sister for example. I know I can ask her to create an account, but so much work she’d have to do to add all of our living family in...probably hundreds of names, and we are a small family. Also I am sure the longer it goes on where living are hidden from family, the more duplicate records there will be. So any new news on this? Thanks so much.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Family Tree is a collaborative database on FamilySearch.org. It is not your family tree. As a member of the church, you can have a free Ancestry account with a "Church of Jesus Christ-Ancestry Membership" subscription. Use it to create your family tree. Your subscription makes it very easy to export your family members from Family Tree into your Ancestry tree.

You can share your family tree with anyone you like, either giving them read-only access or full editor privileges. If they are members of the church, they can have free accounts with the same subscription as you have. If they are not members of the church, they can still create a free Ancestry account, and you can still grant them viewing or editing access to your family tree.
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/ ... ry-Account
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
kpraeger

Post by kpraeger »

Thanks for the info on Ancestry, but it sure would be nice to just be able to have a similar sharing feature on FamilySearch, that way I only have to maintain one copy of the family tree. Or is it better to use Ancestry as the sole source of my family tree and abandon FamilySearch? That doesn’t make much sense tho.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I suggest the following YouTube video:
Which is the Best Genealogy Site? Ancestry.com vs. FamilySearch.org: Learn the Power of Using Both!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaH7v6DNZQ4&t=63s
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Have you tried posting your concerns in a FamilySearch Community forum?
https://community.familysearch.org/s/
BillB850L

Post by BillB850L »

Yes, I agree with drepouille to use another site for living people.

I prefer Ancestry since I can share the private tree of living people with other family members. I have enough deceased people in the tree to tie all of the living people together (Ancestry has an easy link to FS).

Previously, there was also an issue with a Latter-day Saint's FS account being locked when they die - not sure if this is still a problem with the change to allow separate credentials.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”