Two EQ Secretaries

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
davesudweeks

Re: Two EQ Secretaries

Post by davesudweeks »

r_vinoya wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 pm how about two EQ presidents? the 2nd EQ president did not have access to LCR. Is there a way to give access to 2nd EQ president?
Handbook 8.1.3 indicates that the Stake can organize a 2nd Elder's quorum in the unit. I would expect the second quorum would have a full presidency (just as the first quorum) and the second quorum presidency should have the same access in LCR as the first quorum presidency does.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

r_vinoya wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 pm how about two EQ presidents? the 2nd EQ president did not have access to LCR. Is there a way to give access to 2nd EQ president?
Because you recorded it as a custom calling. That NEVER works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
r_vinoya

Post by r_vinoya »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:08 pm
Because you recorded it as a custom calling. That NEVER works.
Thanks.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The process is to split the quorum and assign the members to the 2nd quorum. I think the presidency members must be in the quorum they are presiding over.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

Having two Elders Quorums in a unit is an interesting topic. Historically, I've known that second quorums are possibilities, though I haven't come across a unit with enough Elders or High Priests (the Elders break point seemed high, like 70 or more) to qualify for one. Of course, High Priests quorums are tied to stakes. Before creating a second quorum of Elders I would expect a unit split. I think ward creation is at least somewhat based on active Melchizedek priesthood holders. Then, LCR doesn't seem to be able to support second quorums in units. Additionally, I see second Deacons, Teachers, or Priests quorums as much more likely today than second elders quorums, but they unsupported in LCR as well. Though we could create calling names to indicate status, appropriate LCR access rights would probably be missing.

Please note, I didn't stop to review current instruction in the handbook.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jpjones~ogr wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 am Then, LCR doesn't seem to be able to support second quorums in units.
As Elders Quorum President, I can see the option to split my Elders quorum in LCR (I was a little surprised that the option is not restricted to the stake...). So I think LCR does support a second Elders quorum (though I agree with you that a second quorum would likely be rare indeed).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jpjones~ogr wrote: Before creating a second quorum of Elders I would expect a unit split.
A number of young single adult wards will have two elders quorums and Relief Societies. The break point for elders is actually 96 (see D&C 107:89).

The real challenge would be if a ward had more than 48 priests. Theoretically, you would need another bishop to preside over the second quorum. But if you have a second bishop, you might as well have a new ward.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I was in a ward that they split the elders quorum 6 months to a year before the ward was split.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:02 pm The real challenge would be if a ward had more than 48 priests. Theoretically, you would need another bishop to preside over the second quorum. But if you have a second bishop, you might as well have a new ward.
I know that CDOL automatically assigns the bishop as the priests quorum president and that if you split the priests quorum the bishop would be assigned as the president to both quorums. I would agree that it would be fairly unusual to get there without a ward split somewhere in the works.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you have access to reports in Leader and Clerk Resources, you can look under the quarterly report or unit statistics to see how many Melchizedek priesthood holders you have. I would suspect that many wards in Utah or other areas with a lot of Church members have more than 96 elders.

Note that by current policy (General Handbook 8.1.2), prospective elders and all high priests who are not currently serving in a high priest calling are also members of the elders quorum.

The General Handbook doesn't mention the number 96 in the section about splitting the elders quorum (General Handbook 8.1.3), so I'm not sure if actually having 96 members is still required, or if it was just the policy at the time Doctrine and Covenants 107 was received. The General Handbook today says "a very large number of active Melchizedek Priesthood holders."

Interestingly, the General Handbook has provision for splitting the deacons quorum at more than 12 deacons, and the teachers quorum at more than 24 teachers, but does not have provision for splitting the priests quorum (see General Handbook 10.1.5). I'm not sure how splitting the priests quorum would work with only one bishopric. Having 48 priests would be a strong case for splitting the ward, for that reason.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”