Do Not Contact List/Visibility

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
davesudweeks

Re: Do Not Contact List/Visibility

Post by davesudweeks »

For me, "chatty" means too many emails. I have seen some organizations begin sending out several emails each week. For some people, 1 email per week is too many and for others, they would like several per week.

In my opinion, "the customer" defines what is acceptable and "the customer" of the email is the recipient (as opposed to the church programming model where the customer is the church, not the members). It really puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the leaders to understand and reach out to each member at their level (just like the Savior does to each of us). This isn't as easy as blasting out an email to everyone in the ward, but I don't believe that is very effective anyway.

In my experience, a member who has requested "no contact" usually means just that - and the reasons for the request can be varied. We have some who have requested no contact where there are other members who know them personally. Those members are asked to check up on them periodically as a friend in a natural way without it being an "official" contact from the church. Thus, we honor their request for no "official" contact while their friends are still keeping tabs on them in case there is a need where we can help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:23 pm Can one of you define "chatty" in relation to the Send a Message function? Do you mean too many emails or emails which are excessively wordy, both, or some other secret combination? :)
I agree with davesudweeks: whatever the recipient finds unacceptable. What may be fine for you or I may too much for others. Some members may welcome knowing what's happening in the ward, while others only want to be notified that church has been canceled due to weather. This can be particularly true if much of the message doesn't have anything to do with the individual such as announcements of upcoming primary and youth activities to a single childless sister. Some leaders may see SaM as a "tool of engagement" while the recipients see it as so much gossip.

I'm just talking about members who do want some contact, but not that much.

Clearly, there are some that would be non-members if they just knew the procedure for leaving.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Back in the days of the LUWS, I was the stake executive secretary, and I sent perhaps too many mass emails out to stake members. In those days, I received bounce messages for all the invalid email addresses in the system. One active sister had set her email address to something invalid, like me@none.com. I knew her actual email address, so I asked her why she put an invalid email address on her record. She replied that she didn't have time to read emails from the stake or ward. Well, I had to respect her wishes. To each his/her own.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Bottom line is each unit needs to handle this based on the inspired leadership of their bishop or branch president, and also taking into consideration every individual's needs and requests. One size does not fit all.
woodruffda

Post by woodruffda »

Being listed as Private does not mean do not contact. LDS tools is very limited and is a poor application to go off of for this information. I wish LDS tools allowed its own membership to update their own information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

woodruffda wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:47 pm I wish LDS tools allowed its own membership to update their own information.
Member tools does allows members to update their contact and privacy information. What it doesn't allow is changing the address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hp78

Post by hp78 »

My family is still being contacted after I put our info to private and erased phone numbers. My ward doesn't understand the private do not give out info apparently. We don't want to be contacted. Who do I need to tell this to??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hp78 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:48 pm My family is still being contacted after I put our info to private and erased phone numbers. My ward doesn't understand the private do not give out info apparently. We don't want to be contacted. Who do I need to tell this to??
You'd need to speak with your bishop.

From a IT perspective, there are a couple of things you can do:
- You can unsubscribe from mass mailings (instructions will be at the bottom of each email).
- You can set your privacy settings to "leaders only". But it make take some time to take effect as members may be working off of cached copies. (A sync is required only every 30 days or so.)

But even that does not guarantee "no contact". There is no such formal list. The only sure way is to have your name removed. The bishop can help you though that process.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

My family is still being contacted after I put our info to private and erased phone numbers
Are you referring to mass emails still arriving, or are you referring to individualized contact? For direct contact, ward leaders/members may already have your emails/phone numbers in their personal contact lists, and removing access to the info in the church directory won't affect their own contact info. It's quite common for well-meaning church leaders/friends to want to still connect with members they miss seeing in church, and they may have no idea about your personal preferences.

As suggested, speaking directly with your Bishop is always a good decision for cases like yours. Also, if there are one or two "repeat offenders", you can always speak directly with them about not including you in their outreach. Most members are just trying to do their best to not have anyone feel left out or forgotten, and will appreciate your communication with them about your situation.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”