Do Not Contact List/Visibility

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Do Not Contact List/Visibility

Post by jdlessley »

wmchristensen wrote:I would love more insight on this. We had a pretty heated discussion today about it. Is there anything official? After an hour of searching all I've found is this.

https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wiki/No_contact
That Wiki page was posted as a result of a September 2009 MLS message. There is a discussion about that message in the thread titled "This weekend's tip: No "DNC" on membership records". The MLS message is as official as it ever got.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
weaveru

Post by weaveru »

One option we're experimenting with is to add a calling for the individual in LCR. In the "additional callings" section, you can create a custom calling. We added "DNC" (for do not contact). It shows up just under the name of the individual in LDS tools which could be an alert for ward council leaders to keep them off ministering assignments or missionary visits. I'm not sure if headquarters would frown upon this practice - it does prevent hurt feelings or angry responses from individuals who have pleaded with us to be left alone.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

weaveru wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm I'm not sure if headquarters would frown upon this practice - it does prevent hurt feelings or angry responses from individuals who have pleaded with us to be left alone.
Headquarters would frown on this practice.

One thing that you should do is change the privacy settings for all of the members to "leader only." They will still be visible to leaders, but the visual reminder should be enough to help the leader think through whether this is someone who has requested not to be contacted.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

weaveru wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm One option we're experimenting with is to add a calling for the individual in LCR. In the "additional callings" section, you can create a custom calling. We added "DNC" (for do not contact).
Keep in mind the member will see that as well if they log into Directory or use Member Tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:52 pm
weaveru wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm One option we're experimenting with is to add a calling for the individual in LCR. In the "additional callings" section, you can create a custom calling. We added "DNC" (for do not contact).
Keep in mind the member will see that as well if they log into Directory or use Member Tools.
Am wondering if they would also see the leaders only color recommended in the post above yours?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:39 pm Am wondering if they would also see the leaders only color recommended in the post above yours?
Yes, they would see an orange padlock indicating their information has been set to private. Depending on the nature of the issue, I don't know as it would upset them. If they really want no contact, I don't think it would bother them. But if they welcome social contact from members, but have a dislike of the leaders, they may not be appreciative.

Neither tactic is going solve the problem for a member who dislikes an overly chatty leader using Send a Message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:29 pm
garystroble wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:39 pm Am wondering if they would also see the leaders only color recommended in the post above yours?
Yes, they would see an orange padlock indicating their information has been set to private. Depending on the nature of the issue, I don't know as it would upset them. If they really want no contact, I don't think it would bother them. But if they welcome social contact from members, but have a dislike of the leaders, they may not be appreciative.

Neither tactic is going solve the problem for a member who dislikes an overly chatty leader using Send a Message.
Perhaps a better solution would be to remove the email address from the individual email field and save it only in the household email address field so they don't get the Send a Message emails. Frankly, in our ward, those who have expressed no contact don't have email addresses known to us anyway or they have removed the email addresses themselves. And since phone numbers are so much in flux these days, less actives are very less likely to have correct phone numbers if the Church has a phone number for them at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:35 pm Perhaps a better solution would be to remove the email address from the individual email field and save it only in the household email address field so they don't get the Send a Message emails.
That would likely break any desired subscriptions. That may work for some people, but again, it would make things worse for those who simply don't want a lot of chatty Send A Message mailings.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 am...it would make things worse for those who simply don't want a lot of chatty Send A Message mailings.
This is a pet peeve of mine. "The problem with the person who is good with a hammer is he tends to see everything as a nail." People who love emails (or texts, or FB or...) tend to think everyone else loves the same. It just doesn't work that way and members deserve better than an easy shotgun approach. At the start of the pandemic, I raised concerns with my Stake President about the effect of chatty ward and stake leaders flooding members with the Send A Message tool given there is no "opt-out" option. He told me my concerns were unfounded...
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Can one of you define "chatty" in relation to the Send a Message function? Do you mean too many emails or emails which are excessively wordy, both, or some other secret combination? :)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”