Unable to sign in after password reset

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Unable to sign in after password reset

Post by russellhltn »

Message from GSC:

We often get cases where a person will pose a question such as “I just changed my password, but I still cannot login with the new password”, and they insist they know they are typing the correct password.

I’m sure you see this type of question or response throughout the forums.

The short answer is; there is an Intruder Lockout on their account.
  • An Intruder lockout will automatically clear after 30 minutes of inactivity.
  • The only indication you know your account might be locked with an Intruder Lockout, is when you know you are typing the correct password and get the message that says “Either the username or password is not recognized”.
  • The most common cause of an Intruder Lockout is when someone changes their LDS Account password, and does not save their new password in their Gospel Library app.

The solution is to open the Gospel Library app, and go into the Settings page, then tap on their username and choose ‘Sign Out’. Next, tap ‘Sign In’, type the username and the correct password, and tap Sign In.

A background process attempts to connect to church servers every couple of minutes to backup or synchronize Notes and Annotations. It uses the username and password that was entered, when the app was first installed on their device. If their password changes, the app is now sending the old password (a wrong password), and after 15-20 minutes, will result in an Intruder Lockout. The background process to backup Notes and Annotations is only running while the app is open (on screen).

Unfortunately, there is no indication from the app that the sync failed. You will only see “Sync Failed” in Settings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gayep

Re: Unable to sign in after password reset

Post by gayep »

I have tried and tried after resetting my password and I can't get in. I am a coordinator at the Jordan River Temple and I really need to get into TempleWorkers. Please help me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gayep wrote:Please help me.
Did you read and follow the instructions from the first post? You may have to wait a half hour after updating your Gospel Library app.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Does this mean that if I change my LDS Account password, I also have to change the password in Gospel Library, or GL will eventually lock me out of my LDS Account?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Does this mean that if I change my LDS Account password, I also have to change the password in Gospel Library, or GL will eventually lock me out of my LDS Account?
That's what it sounds like to me. The information came from someone in the LDS Account team.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:Does this mean that if I change my LDS Account password, I also have to change the password in Gospel Library, or GL will eventually lock me out of my LDS Account?
Yes, Gospel Library uses your LDS Account username and password to connect to the server for syncing annotations, getting role-based content, etc. If your password changes, Gospel Library will attempt to connect to the server using your old username and password, until you change it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
karrenhallwillard

Post by karrenhallwillard »

Something bogus is going on. My husband got an email to change his password. He is an Ordinance Worker in the St. George Temple. You have a weird glitch in your system saying ordinance workers are "employees" of the church, thus getting a warning to change our passwords. He unfortunately did as instructed and can no longer sign in. So that means no more family search, no more donations on line, no more LDS tools. We need a number to have a human being help to reset the passwords. You need to fix the "employee" bug associated with temple workers.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

karrenhallwillard wrote:You have a weird glitch in your system saying ordinance workers are "employees" of the church, thus getting a warning to change our passwords.
The "employee" setting is not a glitch. The message could be more specific, but the functionality is working as designed.

There a set of flags associated with LDS Accounts that indicates whether that account belongs to a person who is subject to additional requirements (regular password changes is the most noticeable). That flag is set to true for his account along with a status value that indicates he is a volunteer.

For some reason, the determination has been made that temple workers should have that flag set because of the systems and information they have access to. I don't work on those systems and wasn't involved with the decision, so I don't know why.

There are other non-employee positions with the same requirements. Stake seminary teacher is one that commonly comes up.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

scgallafent wrote:For some reason, the determination has been made that temple workers should have that flag set because of the systems and information they have access to. I don't work on those systems and wasn't involved with the decision, so I don't know why.
I can understand temple office workers and presidencies, but not ordinance workers and volunteers. Very strange.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:I can understand temple office workers and presidencies, but not ordinance workers and volunteers. Very strange.
My guess is that it's related to worker scheduling or something similar and not as much to actual ordinance data.

Return to “Church Account”