Installation problems with HP LaserJet 1300 (and 1200)

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
ulupoi

Installation problems with HP LaserJet 1300 (and 1200)

Post by ulupoi »

HP LaserJet 1300
If you need to install an HP LaserJet 1300 on a new unit computer (Windows 10), Windows will no longer install it correctly, automatically. Instead, install it manually following these steps:

a) Go to the HP support site for the 1300 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... ies/238320).
b) Download and install the Dot4 driver.
c) Install the printer selecting the manual install option. Go to Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners. Click on "Add printer or scanner." Wait several seconds, and this option will appear: "The printer that I want isn't listed." Click on that. A new, "Add printer" window will open.
d) Select the option: Add a local printer or network printer with manual options. Click: Next.
e) From the "Use an existing port" menu, select the Dot4 port that you just installed.
f) The next window is for driver selection. Click on the Windows Update button to get more driver options. It will seem like it's stuck, but it's not. It just takes an inordinately long time for the drivers to load. Just wait for it. When the additional drivers load, select HP LaserJet 1300 PCL5. This seems to be the best driver for this old printer. The HP Universal Printer Driver causes problems when printing images or PDFs.

HP LaserJet 1200
I haven't been able to get it to work with any computer running Windows 10 64-bit version 1709 (last year's Fall Creators Update) or later.

This printer works fine with Linux Mint, though. Install HPLIP from Software Manager (if it is not already installed) and also install the HPLIP gui. Then run Menu > All > HPLIP Toolbox. Use it to set up the printer. An HP Icon is added to the panel, and you can also launch HP Device Manager from there.
beckettj

Re: Installation problems with HP LaserJet 1300 (and 1200)

Post by beckettj »

I followed the instructions above, however, after clicking the Windows Update button--and choosing HP from the manufacturer list--there is no LaserJet 1300 option in the printer list. This is on our Bishop's Lenovo Thinkpad, running Windows 10 Home. Any suggestions?
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Click on the Windows Update button under the list of printers. Then, take a break. It will seem like nothing is happening for a long time—up to half an hour or so—but Windows is downloading more drivers. When it is done, you will find that HP LaserJet 1300 PCL5 now appears in the list.
danpass

Post by danpass »

beckettj wrote:I followed the instructions above, however, after clicking the Windows Update button--and choosing HP from the manufacturer list--there is no LaserJet 1300 option in the printer list. This is on our Bishop's Lenovo Thinkpad, running Windows 10 Home. Any suggestions?
I've found that after the update completes, the manufacturer list includes both HP and Hewlett Packard. If you don't find the printer in one, check the other.
kwillisjr

Post by kwillisjr »

The driver for that printer does not come up under any of the HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard options.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Did you do this part?

Click on the Windows Update button under the list of printers. Then, take a break. It will seem like nothing is happening for a long time—up to half an hour or so—but Windows is downloading more drivers. When it is done, you will find that HP LaserJet 1300 PCL5 now appears in the list.

I should emphasize that it can take a really long time for those extra printers to load after clicking on the Windows Update button.
kwillisjr

Post by kwillisjr »

More than an hour? The list populated within 15 minutes both times I tried to add manually. It never uploaded more drivers. HP website didn't have a driver either.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Aw, man. I just tried it out, and you're right. Microsoft or HP pulled the driver. It no longer appears in the expanded list of drivers. If I were you, in the "Install the printer driver" window, from the left list I'd select "HP," and from the right list I'd select the last printer, "HP Universal Printing PCL6." It's worth a try, anyway.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

By the way, here's an update on installing the HP LaserJet 1200 in Linux Mint Xfce.

HP LaserJet 1200 installation instructions
1) HPLIP installs a postscript driver, and while the print quality of graphics is high, printing is so slow as to make it completely impractical. Use the following method, instead, to install a more practical driver. Got it from https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160695
2) Log into Administrator account: spadmin
3) Open terminal
4) Enter: system-config-printer
5) This opens CUPS
6) Click on: + Add
7) Select: HP Laserjet 1200
8) Select: Connection: USB
9) Forward
10) Let it search for drivers
11) Select HP: Laserjet 1200: HP LaserJet 1200- CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13 [en]
12) To change the driver of an already installed LaserJet 1200:
13) Log into Administrator account: spadmin
14) Open terminal
15) Enter: system-config-printer
16) This opens CUPS
17) Click on: HP_Laserjet_1200
18) Select: Printer: Properties
19) Make and Model: click Change
20) Select HP: Laserjet 1200: HP LaserJet 1200- CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13 [en]
kwillisjr

Post by kwillisjr »

The universal driver worked. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”