Diminished support for Android 4.x (and prior)

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
supermyers

Re: Diminished support for Android 4.x (and prior)

Post by supermyers »

russellhltn wrote:I've been given a heads up that LDS Tools on Android 4.x (and before) is likely to end at some point in the future.
How did you get the heads up about the change?

I agree with the post by @davesudweeks -- Some advance notice of what will change and why, especially when devices will become unsupported, will be very helpful.
My wife just found out last week that she could no longer sync, and has one login left. Knowing what, when and why 3 months ago would have saved a lot of frustration and troubleshooting time.
And while it's not essential for her calling, she has come to rely on LDS tools. It makes her calling easier and less time consuming, and the website can't do what the app does.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

supermyers wrote:How did you get the heads up about the change?
From one of our friendly employees who drop by the the forum.

But even then, that was pretty much after-the-fact information. That was before we discovered that older versions of LDS Tools gets unhappy with the disappearance of the old HT/VT servers (which was filling in for Ministering). Before that, I think the expectation was "diminished functionality". Not an abrupt end.

On the bright side, the season for deals is upon us. One does not need a "flagship" level device. The current crop of moderate priced devices are quite capable. Just make sure it's on a reasonable current version of Android and will get at least security updates for while longer. That last one can be tricky. You may want to look at new low-end models rather than close-outs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
avasthisamar

Post by avasthisamar »

I have verified that if I don’t use Crosswalk on Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), the native WebView cannot load and initialize Onsen properly.

I understand that Google has decided to support 4.4.4, which is how Onsen has similarly chosen to follow. Just that in reality, people are not replacing their phones fast enough if they do not break, and it would be a shame to forgo this user base, which can go up to almost 20%. Recent Cordova for Android has set its lowest version to Android API level 16, which corresponds to Android 4.1 (Jellybean).
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

If anyone finds comes across this thread, go to this thread, instead, for more information: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=34111
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:If anyone finds comes across this thread, go to this thread, instead, for more information:
You posted a link for iOS Gospel Library in a Android Member Tools thread.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

russellhltn wrote:
ulupoi wrote:If anyone finds comes across this thread, go to this thread, instead, for more information:
You posted a link for iOS Gospel Library in a Android Member Tools thread.
I know. There is a lot of information there that applies to both.

I thought that the manufacturer support lifespan for Apple products was short, but then I saw the numbers for Android devices. Good grief.
mommawheelz

Post by mommawheelz »

I have an LG-M153 (182)10 android phone. Information on the phone says the operating system is Android 6.0.1 Software is up to date I don't know what this all means, but from previous conversations on the forum, I understand that LDS tools will no longer run on Android 4.x. Should it run on Android 6.0.1 as I have? It stopped working about two weeks ago.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mommawheelz wrote:I have an LG-M153 (182)10 android phone. Information on the phone says the operating system is Android 6.0.1 Software is up to date I don't know what this all means, but from previous conversations on the forum, I understand that LDS tools will no longer run on Android 4.x. Should it run on Android 6.0.1 as I have? It stopped working about two weeks ago.
Yes, it should work - provided you have a current version of Member Tools. (if it's still called LDS Tools, it's not current).

Return to “Android Member Tools App”