Children of divorced parent - two wards

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

The problem that arises is that even though we may create an out-of-unit-member record, that does not keep us updated on ordinances. There needs to be a mechanism for updaing out-of-unit member records from CHQ.

One situation we have is a divorced family where the mother has legal custody, and therefor the records, but the children, including two young men, actually attend church in our ward more often than in their mother's ward. Since the records are in the other ward, that is where ordinations occur. Since we don't have those records or access to them, we have no way of knowing when the ordinations occur.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rpyne wrote:The problem that arises is that even though we may create an out-of-unit-member record, that does not keep us updated on ordinances. There needs to be a mechanism for updaing out-of-unit member records from CHQ.

One situation we have is a divorced family where the mother has legal custody, and therefor the records, but the children, including two young men, actually attend church in our ward more often than in their mother's ward. Since the records are in the other ward, that is where ordinations occur. Since we don't have those records or access to them, we have no way of knowing when the ordinations occur.
There is no substitute for good communications between bishoprics, or clerks, familiar with the family situation. Granted software such as MLS has come a long way to replace doing things the 'old fashion' way, but there will always be a need for direct communications to handle the situations MLS has not caught up to taking care of.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Amandafordlds

Re: Children of divorced parent - two wards

Post by Amandafordlds »

I have joint custody with my previous husband and we both are active. This has caused a lot of heartache for me as the church has no stance on what to do in this situation. I left an abusive relationship so I had to move out and started attending a new ward and the kids records remain in the homeward with their dad. It is really frustrating as a mom not to have your kids records with you. The church needs to come up with a solution to the problem. There should be a way that the records are in both wards because the kids attend both wards equally.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Amandaticelds wrote:There should be a way that the records are in both wards because the kids attend both wards equally.
This is a very old thread and things have changed since the last post. Your clerk can now create out-of-unit records for your children. These records will automatically have all information about your children and will update automatically when ordinances are done. This information will be available to leaders of your ward and the children will show up on roles. They can also be given callings in your ward if your bishop and the other bishop agree that is appropriate.

Unfortunately, there are a few tools which haven't been updated since this ability was added. The main offender is the directory on lds.org. It doesn't currently show out-of-unit records. But I think LDS Tools does (I'm not sure and we don't currently have any such records ourselves so I can't check for certain). But even the directory should be updated eventually when resources are available.

One ward does have to actually hold the records and that bishop is responsible for advancement and ordination interviews as well as temple recommend interviews. But appropriate use of out-of-unit records should allow both wards to better minister to the children.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:I think LDS Tools does
LDS Tools does well in maintaining out-of-unit records. Hopefully, LDS.org will catch up as changes are made there at the main website.
shoup

Post by shoup »

So it looks this discussion has not evolved further since 2009. I am the father, and do not have custody, but yet have no access to sign up for FSY or other youth events as his mother disconnected from such involvement. Can a duplicate account be made to reduct these efforts I have to make so my child still can participate in these inspired activities?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

shoup wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 pm I am the father, and do not have custody, but yet have no access to sign up for FSY or other youth events as his mother disconnected from such involvement.
I'd suggest contacting EFY using the contact information on their FAQ page. It's disappointing that the mother has disconnected, but as the non-custodial parent I'm not sure if you are in a position to give the needed parental permission. That's something that probably needs to be asked of EFY. Once that is settled, then I'm sure the mechanics of "how" can be worked out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gkdyer

Post by gkdyer »

This is easily solved.

List the ward where the children primarily attend, as their "home" ward even if they live during the week with the other parent.

List the second ward as the "out of ward" member. You may need that help of the other membership clerk in the 2nd ward.
Occasionally the children might attend with the other parent in the "out of ward" location. The 2nd parent has their membership in their residence home ward. The out of ward membership clerk is contacted to show those children as "out of ward" members.

This works well for members in my situation.

In theory the "divorced" spouse could be placed in the "out of ward" status also - if it was helpful for leaders in the "other" ward to reach that parent during the week for activity purposes.

It also works well for members in which spouses live apart in other states, or possibly countries, where spouses visit on weekends.

It gives the leadership of both wards access to the member information. Temple recommends info resides with the primary record in the Home Ward, and is issued in that stake.

Those who are in "both" wards have access to membership information in both wards and both stakes at the same time.

I asked a person who was in both wards to verify this! IT WORKS VERY WELL!
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'd also add that for "complicated" situations (which many times is the case), having both Bishops be in communication with each other is an important aspect. This can be challenging as there are a lot of contributing factors, and many times Bishops don't talk to each other about these cases. But when there is a shared responsibility for children between wards, having the Bishops in-sync will help the corresponding youth leaders also be in-sync, regarding things like the Children & Youth Program, callings/assignments, talks, and other church involvement like EFY conferences. A parent may have to push for this to occur, but since the parent is best situated to know how the Church can support their family situation, I strongly encourage the parent to talk with their own Bishop and see if he can be a liaison with the other ward's Bishop. Definitely won't resolve everything, but something that may help offload a portion of this burden from a parent struggling to do it all themselves.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 am But when there is a shared responsibility for children between wards, having the Bishops in-sync will help the corresponding youth leaders also be in-sync, regarding things like the Children & Youth Program, callings/assignments, talks, and other church involvement like EFY conferences.
The bishop who has the records would be the primary for things like ordinations, EFY, or temple recommends. The out-of-unit bishop would be limited to ward participation (callings, talks, etc.) But yes, the two need to talk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”