LDS Tools Services are unavailable

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
wayneeckman

LDS Tools Services are unavailable

Post by wayneeckman »

When I try to sign into LDS Tools on my Android phone, it bring up the following: "LDS Tools Services are unavailable. Please try again later." Any suggestions?
corinichole

Re: LDS Tools Services are unavailable

Post by corinichole »

Same Problem here
suzanneherron

Post by suzanneherron »

Me too!
jkarlphillips

Post by jkarlphillips »

Same here. Samsung galaxy s5. LDS tools app says it no longer compatible with my device. Happened the end of Oct. Haven't been able to sync since. I'm a bit dependant on the information in my calling. Why is a android S5 no longer supported?
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-17-09-27-12.png
(433.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jkarlphillips wrote:Same here. Samsung galaxy s5. LDS tools app says it no longer compatible with my device. Happened the end of Oct. Haven't been able to sync since. I'm a bit dependant on the information in my calling. Why is a android S5 no longer supported?
What version of Android are you on? LDS Tools isn't compatible with anything below Android 5. Those versions lack a secure communication protocol that is still current by today's standards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sevenrussells

Post by sevenrussells »

My wife and I have a Galaxy S8+, my phone and account works just fine, her account comes up with LDS Directory Services are unavailable. Please try again later.

Tried different times and days, something is wrong with her account. My account logs in just fine on her phone. We can log on to her account on lds.org with no issues. Something is BROKEN on the Church system.
phillipwales

Post by phillipwales »

For everyone with Android devices when the church changed to ministering instead of ht/vt some software changes were made as well so only Android 5.0 and above is compatible so if you need lds tools you will have to upgrade your phone if you have an earlier version
roddyjoe

Post by roddyjoe »

Why does my tablet with 3.5.2 work fine but my phone with 4.4.4 does not? This is crazy that we will have to upgrade our phones every couple of years just to have tools. Got to be a better answer than "too bad, out of luck."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

roddyjoe wrote:Why does my tablet with 3.5.2 work fine but my phone with 4.4.4 does not?
3.5.2 is the current version of LDS Tools and requires Android 5.0 or better. I'm not seeing any listing for a Android 3.5.2. It went from 3.2.6 to 4.0 seven years ago.

Android 4.4.4 doesn't support a security protocol that is still considered secure. So, in this case, it was a security of information issue.

Android 5 was introduced 4 years ago.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

roddyjoe wrote:Why does my tablet with 3.5.2 work fine but my phone with 4.4.4 does not? This is crazy that we will have to upgrade our phones every couple of years just to have tools. Got to be a better answer than "too bad, out of luck."
Unfortunately, the answer, "too bad, out of luck" is given by Google, not the church. It is possible for Google to provide security updates for obsolete Android versions but they do not. The church chose data security of membership data over convenience of individual members. I, for one, am grateful for that choice even though I no longer have access to LDSTools either (I'm running Android 4.4).

Having a digital device is not required to fulfill any calling in the church that I am aware of. I function fine as ward clerk without a cell phone and with a wifi tablet that cannot access LDSTools. It is a bit inconvenient at times, but it is my choice to not upgrade at the moment. I don't blame the church for that.

Often the advice is to purchase an older device at lower cost. If you plan to keep your device long-term, you might consider the opposite as older devices are abandoned by the OS and hardware manufacturers sooner which can put one back in the same boat as now.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”