Temple Ordinances

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Ordinances

Post by russellhltn »

HollyRollins wrote:My husband and I just got married and are moving to another state. Would we be able to use our Living Ordinance Recommend for our Sealing in another state or would we need to meet with our future bishop and stake president and get a new one in our new state? We are going to get sealed in the state we are moving to.
I'd think they're good at any temple. But do check and see if there's an expiration date on that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

HollyRollins wrote:My husband and I just got married and are moving to another state. Would we be able to use our Living Ordinance Recommend for our Sealing in another state or would we need to meet with our future bishop and stake president and get a new one in our new state? We are going to get sealed in the state we are moving to.
You'll need to call the temple to set an appointment for your sealing. When you call, the temple might be able to answer your question.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Getting a recommend and then getting sealed in a different state is a fairly common occurrence. (Think about all of the college students who get recommends in their YSA wards.) You shouldn't have any issues.

The only thing to watch out for is that you have your interview with the bishop and stake president in the same stake. Changing stakes in the middle of that process can cause problems.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Also, be aware that when you got for a temple interview, if you've been in the unit less than one year, the bishop has to check with your prior bishop.

As such, I'd think you'd be better off getting the recommend before you move, since afterwards there will be an added step to the process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Kingram52

Post by Kingram52 »

Where can we check online to see when our Temple recommend expires ?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Kingram52 wrote:Where can we check online to see when our Temple recommend expires ?
Online access is in the Ward Directory. Click your household, then click your name. At the bottom of the pane with your name and contact information are three tabs: Membership Information, Ministering, and Callings and Classes. Select the Membership Information tab and scroll down to see your temple recommend status and expiration date below the Temple Recommend section title.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You can also see your own recommend expiration date in Member Tools.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:You can also see your own recommend expiration date in Member Tools.
And in Member Tools you can set a reminder that "it will expire in: 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, or 8 weeks." To set the reminder, go to Settings and scroll down near the bottom (on the Android version). iOS should be similar but I don't have iOS to check.
dillonkunz

Post by dillonkunz »

If someone was supposedly baptized but I can’t find a baptismal record, does that mean they may have been excommunicated (I know that’s old term, sorry)? The individual’s life is such that they may have been excommunicated, but no one in the family knows. Should we do their baptismal work or nah?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dillonkunz wrote:If someone was supposedly baptized but I can’t find a baptismal record, does that mean they may have been excommunicated (I know that’s old term, sorry)? The individual’s life is such that they may have been excommunicated, but no one in the family knows.
Possible, but depending on the birth date, they might not be recorded as deceased yet. Until the church records them as deceased, I would not expect their membership information to transfer to FamilySearch. If they've been away from the church, their death may not have been recorded.

I've seen issues with getting baptisms from the pre-computer era recorded in FamilySearch.

Return to “Family History”