deleting a donation with multiple donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Cybird-p40

deleting a donation with multiple donations

Post by Cybird-p40 »

Our bank sent an adjustment to us saying a donors check posted twice and they charged the other acct for it.
Headquarters in SLC told me to delete the erroneous check we entered but the donor wrote 3 other checks that day and they are on the same line item. If I delete the whole tranaction form that batch it will also delete the correct transactions for that donor. Is there a way around this?
Thanks
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If I understand this correctly, the clerk recording the batch in MLS entered 4 checks instead of 3, by entering one check twice on the right side of the electronic donation form. This also means he would have had to enter the donation amount incorrectly on the left side, and also didn't total the checks separately before submitting the batch, which would have uncovered the error. (Might want to go over some of the training lessons with him. ;) )

OK. I would first recommend pulling the original donor slip from your file as a reference. Then open the MLS batch and bring up the affected donor "slip". Now it's just a matter of making the 2 match. On the right side, delete the duplicate check, which will cause the total to be wrong (and show up in red). Now, adjust the donation amount so the total balances. Hopefully, this should now match the donor's original hard copy slip.

Press SAVE and type a reason for the adjustment in the pop-up. When you close the batch, MLS will prompt you to print the new Batch Report for your files. MLS will also generate an automatic message for the support staff to make the adjustment on their end, so you all (hopefully) end up in sync with the bank's records.

Hope this helps.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
austinbellehdarius

Re: deleting a donation with multiple donations

Post by austinbellehdarius »

Hello, I have a concern with two donations enter as one, I want to delete the batch report to enter it separately in the system, how can I delete that batch report?
eblood66

Re: deleting a donation with multiple donations

Post by eblood66 »

I'm assuming the batch has been closed. If not, you should be able to just go back to the donation, modify it and enter the additional one. If the batch is closed then you'll have to contact the Global Service Department and ask them to make the corrections. LCR does not have a way to split a donation into two donations in a closed batch.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”