LCR - Send message function - texting

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
chriswoodut

Re: LCR - Send message function - texting

Post by chriswoodut »

pabloh007 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:40 am Hey everyone I came across this post and wanted to add my 2 cents. Our ward came across this problem during the pandemic. Most members in my ward wanted to receive communications through sms/texting. I saw twilio offers sms for about 0.0075 per message. We decided we to give it a try, however it required some development work to be done to be used. In the ended developing a web application that does this. It's called Ward Notification Pager. It has helped our ward get more participation as members can get reminders of activities/meetings etc.

The application is free to use. You only have to pay for the twilio service, in a nutshell you sign up for twilio and then plug in your credentials in the app and you are good to go to start testing. It was designed around ward organizations /groups.

https://ward-notification-pager.io
Very cool!
caillines

Post by caillines »

Keep in mind that using that exporting membership information to 3rd party services goes against church policy, and depending on where you are, may actually break local law.
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

I definitely agree with @caillines about exporting an entire wards membership and using it to text everyone, I don't recommend doing that. The target audience for the app has been active members of the ward or non members that have provided their mobile number for sms notifications either through a google sheet or signing up manually through a sign up sheet that is why there is an import tool for the app. At any point after onboarding a contact can unsubscribe from receiving sms notifications from a ward as well.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”