Differenz Languages (Farsi) over Satellite

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
michaelwinkler

Differenz Languages (Farsi) over Satellite

Post by michaelwinkler »

Hi everyone,

I´m somewhat new to the calling of being the ward technic guy and do not have a lot of experience with the satellite system. We usually just use the languages german and english on our sat system which worked fine so far. But this year we were excited to read on the announcement that General Confrence will be offered in Farsi and we have lots of persian members here who are really excited about that.

So my question: Are all the languages offered automatically available on the sat system we use in our ward or do I have to ask someone to "update" our system in order to make these channels available to us or to "unlock" the farsi channel?

Any help is very much appreciated!
Biggles

Re: Differenz Languages (Farsi) over Satellite

Post by Biggles »

See this information in the Help Centre https://www.lds.org/help/support/worldw ... g?lang=eng under Europe.

It would seem you will need another satellite receiver to receive Farsi, listed under Channel 217.

You will need to work with your FM Group, through the Stake PF Representive, to carry this out.
Last edited by Biggles on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Different Languages (Farsi) over Satellite

Post by lajackson »

michaelwinkler wrote:Are all the languages offered automatically available on the sat system we use in our ward
Not exactly. Use this chart to see how the language channels are paired.

Each receiver has two audio channels. If you are in North America, you need two different receivers to receive both German and English. But if you are in Europe, you only need one. So in North America, you could tune one of the receivers from either German or English to receive Farsi.

But in Europe, (or in North America if you still wish to receive both German and English), you will need a second receiver to receive Farsi.

If you need another receiver to receive Farsi, ask your priesthood leaders to contact the Facilities Management Group to make arrangements to have one installed. I am not sure that can happen before this coming general conference, but it might. In addition to another receiver, the FM Group may need to do some audio wiring to accommodate the additional receiver.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given that General Conference is just two weeks away, I think you're probably going to have to stream Farsi over the internet for now.

As mentioned, you'd need another receiver to get Farsi and the associated equipment and wiring (another modulator) to connect it to your system. That's a pretty tall order for two weeks.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelwinkler

Post by michaelwinkler »

Well thanks a lot for your input! So let´s see if i got this right:

- In europe we just have one "kind" of receiver. So all I need are two identical receivers?
- The receiver receives - depending on the pairing - either english or german for example on channel 201. Is there a way for me to change the pairing or is the pairing pre programmed / pre-wired?

Since we are showing German AND English at the same time we should have two receivers then? Otherwise that would not be possible from what i gathered since they both use the same channel? (I´m pretty sure we have two receivers).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelwinkler wrote:So all I need are two identical receivers?
That's a start. You'll also need a splitter to split the satelight signal. You'll also need a way to get that signal to the TV sets. Typically, that's by adding a modulator to add a TV channel to the building's cabling system.

Bottom line, this really isn't a do-it-yourself situation.
michaelwinkler wrote:Is there a way for me to change the pairing
No.

michaelwinkler wrote:Since we are showing German AND English at the same time we should have two receivers then?
No. One receiver, tuned to 201. English will be on the left channel and German will be on the right. (Or something like that.) You'd have to cable things up to get the correct audio channel to the right place.

To get Farsi, you'd have to have a second receiver tuned to 217 and use just the Farsi audio.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you have a good internet connection in your building, it would probably be easier to stream the Farsi over the internet from LDS.org, by hooking up a computer, as mentioned above.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
michaelwinkler

Post by michaelwinkler »

Thanks for all the input so far. So since we have 3 receivers we would actually be able to view farsi. But if I turn into the right channel we get Farsi Audio but no visual - just a blue screen. Any suggestions? Is there a helpline?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How are you connected to the receiver? There's only one video feed with stereo sound. The stereo channel is split into two mono languages. As such, I think the problem is more on how you're connected.

If you're changing the settings, you're probably turning off the video.

mevans

Post by mevans »

There is satellite tech support, but I'm not sure how you reach it from Europe, nor am I aware how the church configures A/V distribution systems in church buildings Europe. You mentioned tuning to the right channel, so maybe it's similar.

In our stake center in North America, we have 2 satellite receivers and 4 modulators to get 4 languages on 4 TV channels. They only pull the video signal from one satellite receiver and feed it into all the modulators, so all the channels have the same video feed. I would imagine your problem might be a missing video feed to the modulator for the Farsi channel. It might be a quick connection in the rack to add this.

Return to “Satellite”