Closed Captioning

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Closed Captioning

Post by lajackson »

Is the World Report closed captioned? It has been turned on for a need during the afternoon session, but nothing is appearing.

We just want to make sure there is nothing now, and hope it will show up when the afternoon session starts. If the World Report is closed captioned, we need to check our projector settings.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Closed Captioning

Post by russellhltn »

I'm looking at the live video. I'm seeing "danceing dots" that suggests CC is active.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It probably is. Now if I can just figure out how to get it from the AV rack to something viewable. sigh
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Okay. Closed captioning is working fine if I stream the broadcast. This is a new meetinghouse that doesn't have any coax connection anywhere. Just RCA video jacks and miniplugs for the audio. No CC there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Odd. I wonder if something is turned off at the receiver. What channel are you on? I know in the past, the ASL hasn't always had CC.

Analog is usually pretty friendly to CC. Digital can be iffy. It sounds like you're all analog from the receiver, so that's why I wonder about the receiver's settings. Then again, a mis-set modulator might do something. (video level too high or too low).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Check the video settings:

TV aspect ratio: 4:3
Aspect ratio convert: none
Closed caption: Auto

At least, that's how my receivers are set up. I guess I should dig out a decoder box and make sure they work. It's possible that the recent changes in aspect ratio has messed this up.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I dug out our acient TeleCaption II. It works with those settings for the women's session

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The satellite cable goes into the back of the receiver. Five wires come out. Three labeled with colors go to the same three color labels at the video distribution amplifier. Two labeled left and right go to the sound distribution system.

Where is the closed caption information? It does not get to any of the half-dozen yellow RCA plugs around the stake center. Should it be at any of the video ports? Is it being lost because the three separate colors are coming out of the receiver?

Is something in the video distribution amp stealing it away? Our satellite settings are the same as yours. And this is a silly problem to be having since we have a wonderful new 7-foot AV rack that is supposed to be able to do anything.

So we are streaming with closed captions on the big screen for everyone to see and remember how blessed they are that they are able to hear the conference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Three labeled with colors go to the same three color labels at the video distribution amplifier.
Whoa, you have a different setup. That sounds like component (3 colors each with their own channel). I'm still on composite. (One RCA cable with all the video).

I'm not sure how CC works on component.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried calling support? It seems all support lines goes to the same voice menu system, so the usual number should work.

Return to “Satellite”