What to put in Religion in Forms?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
r_vinoya

What to put in Religion in Forms?

Post by r_vinoya »

Hello all,
As the Prophet Russel M. Nelson emphasizes the name of Church, what do ykou think the appropriate name entry when placing Religion in some forms? Thanks.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: What to put in Religion in Forms?

Post by jdlessley »

That really depends on the form instructions and what is available. I have put christian when religion is requested. But I put in the full official church name when the form requires a church name.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
klricks

Post by klricks »

r_vinoya wrote:Hello all,
As the Prophet Russel M. Nelson emphasizes the name of Church, what do ykou think the appropriate name entry when placing Religion in some forms? Thanks.
I am guessing that you are asking this because on many forms it would be difficult or impossible to write the full name due to space limitations.
The person reading the form needs to be able to identify which church for data entry so I would think that LDS needs to be included as it is very common and readily recognizable. Example hospital admittance form so the Elders can visit. So maybe:
Jesus Christ (LDS)
J.Christ (LDS)
T.C.O.J.C.O.L.D.S.
Assistant Ward Clerk
r_vinoya

Post by r_vinoya »

klricks wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm
r_vinoya wrote:Hello all,
I am guessing that you are asking this because on many forms it would be difficult or impossible to write the full name due to space limitations.
The person reading the form needs to be able to identify which church for data entry so I would think that LDS needs to be included as it is very common and readily recognizable. Example hospital admittance form so the Elders can visit. So maybe:
Jesus Christ (LDS)
J.Christ (LDS)
T.C.O.J.C.O.L.D.S.
Thanks for the suggestions
DylanObren

Post by DylanObren »

Why would anyone want to know what my religion is?
caillines

Post by caillines »

DylanObren wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:04 pm Why would anyone want to know what my religion is?
Surveys:
Censuses might ask for religions, election exit polls might ask for religions, general political climate polls might ask

Medical:
Hospitals and doctors will often ask in case you need ecclesiastical support etc
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DylanObren wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:04 pm Why would anyone want to know what my religion is?
I believe the military frequently asks for it on their forms.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Arte71

Post by Arte71 »

Not sure if I am wrong, but usually when I just put "The Church of Jesus Christ", 99% of the interviewers or people in general just get that I am a LDS member (or "Oh so you are a Mormon?" sort of reply).

Unless the form asks to be very specific, I don't bother putting "of Latter-Day Saints" or "LDS".
caillines wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:27 am
Medical:
Hospitals and doctors will often ask in case you need ecclesiastical support etc
Plus in some medical areas like physiotherapy, they may have exercises or methods that might be offensive to some religions (mostly non-christian religions tho)

Return to “General Discussions”