iOS printing to XEROX 4265 work center printer

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
kreeve

iOS printing to XEROX 4265 work center printer

Post by kreeve »

Stake presidency all carry ipads. They want to print to the XEROX work center 4265 printer. Anyone had success with this?

I found a Xerox print app, but so far no success. It does find the printer on the network.

Printer working great on network and prints from Mac and PC no problem.

Ideas, Options, thoughts,

Kevin
mevans

Re: iOS printing to XEROX 4265 work center printer

Post by mevans »

Supposedly that printer has AirPrint, so I think it should work. Check out the manual and look at AirPrint configuration (p. 41).
http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/d ... _en-us.pdf
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Supposedly that printer has AirPrint, so I think it should work.
Assuming AirPrint hasn't been turned off at the printer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

Discovered it is a 4260 and not a 4265. So it does not look like it supports airprint as I can not find any reference to it in the manual or a setting anywhere.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Unless the FM group is ready to replace your printer anytime soon, you might consider getting a USB print server that has AirPrint support. They are less than 100 USD. I don't have experience with them, so I don't know how well they work, but they do exist.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I grabbed an older laptop and installed Ubuntu Linux on it. Configured the Xerox 4260 as a local printer. Then shared the printer on the network through CUPS, which advertises itself as an Airprint. I can print from a Mac and Android, but so far not from any iOS devices. They can see it, but the print jobs don't work. I am still working on it, and will be happy to collaborate with anyone else who wants to tackle this. I'd even be willing to get a conference call on a Mutual night and try to work through the issues. I feel like I'm close.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Update. Android users can print directly to the Xerox WorkCentre 4260 if they install https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... vice&hl=en. This is assuming the printer is on the network, of course. Our library has a live Ethernet jack, so I brought in a cable.

My Linux experiment works, and iOS users can now print through that. It took awhile to get the configuration just right. There is one odd drawback, though. Images printed from churchofjesuschrist.org don't print. They are all 8.49 by 10.99 inches, and the printer complains it doesn't have paper that size. I'm trying to figure out a way to tell the printer that it is OK to use 8.5x11 paper for that. Those are the only things I've seen that won't print.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”