MLS 3.0 Issue: Leader and Unit Change Request

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeromer7

MLS 3.0 Issue: Leader and Unit Change Request

Post by jeromer7 »

Since we are changing a bishop next Sunday, I was excited to hear about the the Ward Information Change Requiest form now being done through MLS. Tonight I got into MLS 3.0 and found the new option in Other Resources, Leader and Unit Change Request. I selected Ward Leader and Unit Change R... (whole title doesn't fit in the displayed menu box). I selected the affected ward from the pop-up dialog.

There are two tabs with the Unit Name tab being the default. Everything on this tab is dithered (can't change data in the fields) including the Date which is loaded with today's date. There is a calendar icon next to the Date field implying that a date change is possible, but nothing happens when you click on it (not surprising with the date field dithered).

The real problem is on the Bishop Tab. The current bishop is listed with some data already populated (membership number, home phone, address). Other fields (email address, work phone, cell phone, etc) are empty and editable.

Hang with me, we're getting to the fun part. Above the bishop's name is a note: "Click the magnifing glass icon to choose a new member to fill this position (calling)." Cool, that's just what I want to do, so I click and get a pop-up list box...of high priests from throughout the stake. Ok, there are circumstances where an individual from outside the ward could be called as the bishop (think YSA wards). However, the problem I ran into is that the individual approved by the First Presidency, who was called last night, and is to be sustained next Sunday is currently an Elder.

Can't select him from the list; can't type in his data . Left to do it the old fashioned way by scratching out the old info on the hardcopy Ward Information Change Request from the file cabinet and writing in the new.
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:The real problem is on the Bishop Tab.
Can't select him from the list; can't type in his data . Left to do it the old fashioned way by scratching out the old info on the hardcopy Ward Information Change Request from the file cabinet and writing in the new.
It does appear that this feature is not quite polished. But I would mention a couple of things.

First of all, on the wiki article Information Change Request, a Church employee added a note that says, "For new leaders, do not submit the change request ahead of time. Wait until the new leader has been sustained and set apart in his new calling."

This is confirmed by a note at the bottom of the Recommendation for New Bishop that says "Use the Ward Information Change Request form to record the setting apart of new bishops."

So although your anticipation is admirable, it appears that the Church doesn't want you to submit this information before the fact (on paper, or electronically). If you submit the form after he has been set apart, then he will be a high priest already (although you may have to lean on the ward clerk to process his ordination quickly in MLS), so you should be able to submit the change request electronically.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

I guess I did come across as seeming anxious to get the job done. However, I didn't intend to submit until after Sunday as I won't have all the info (email, work phone) I need to fill in the form.

What I typically do is take the old form, scratch out the old bishop's info and write in data I can cull from MLS. Then hand that to the new bishop to fill in what I don't know. Thought I'd do the same with the on-line form. However, I now realize that since changes will be picked up and sent electronically, I can't really "prep" the form in MLS.

Good point that the form can wait a couple of days for the ordination to percolate through the system.

Still interesting that there's that calendar icon next to the date field...
JLR
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I wonder if this is similar to another reported issue, where at the ward level I couldn't make our bishop a HT supervisor for Elders Quorum, since he was assigned to the High Priest group? I temporarily changed his group assignment, then set the HT assignment.

It's entirely possible / probable this is a restriction based on currently-recorded priesthood office (ie High Priest) rather than group assignment. I only have ward-level MLS experience.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”