Reliable broadcasting for Stake Conference - how to

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reliable broadcasting for Stake Conference - how to

Post by russellhltn »

TCliftonii wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:09 pm I'm trying to push the video feed from the Streaming Bridge to the RS and primary rooms, as well as cultural hall projectors.
Not all coax connections are the same. It may be running though a video distribution amp. The coax runs themselves may be set up for RF, not baseband video. In fact I'd same most runs in the building are setup for RF and only a few are for video.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've found that many of these connections are running Daisy Chained from one room to another which will impact what you're trying to do, as Russel also mentioned, it could be direct from an amp to certain places and some are daisy chained, but no building I've worked with has every really been setup the same way.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
danpass

Post by danpass »

TCliftonii wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:09 pm Has anyone successfully used the ATEM Streaming Bridge with an HDMI connection to the podium and an SDI connection in lieu of the building camera feed? I can get the HDMI to work perfectly, but my SDI connection doesn't work at all. I tried two different bridges to no avail. I'm trying to push the video feed from the Streaming Bridge to the RS and primary rooms, as well as cultural hall projectors. Those are all coax or RCA connections. If I can get the building to recognize the program video from my ATEM Mini Pro, we'll be golden.
If you are feeding your video into an analog video distribution system, you will need to convert the SDI output to analog. We use one of these.
bcourtenaya

Post by bcourtenaya »

I don't have experience with the setup you are describing but just off the top of my head, I would suggest a different approach that may be easier. The SDI solution is a tried and proven technology, the follow on the the SDI solution is the NDI which is basically the same thing but over ethernet (Network). So rather than trying to use old coax, if you ethernet in your locations, I would just to that. You can even use an iphone running NDI as a feed to broadcast. I have used 3 of these in the front of the chapel to provide multiple camera angles. Wirecast and I believe OBS will accept the NDI connections.

You are welcome to contact me directly to discuss.

Bruce Anderson
bcourtenaya@gmail.com
801-821-3805
-- Bruce Anderson
davidengel84

Post by davidengel84 »

I know this thread is a bit old, I'm hoping that posting this question is ok.

After reading the originally posted documentation for Reliable Stake Conference broadcasting an issue was mentioned that we experience, which is the HDMI over Ethernet and audio lag. We use the HDMI over Ethernet option (J-Tech boxes), and use the pulpit mic/sound in the overflow rooms of the Stake Center. There is a bit of video lag, and I'm not sure many people notice but when I've done testing it's pretty noticeable to me, but as far as I know no one has complained about it. I am a perfectionist (unfortunately) and I'm looking to improve that experience if I can. I have not yet found a reasonable, quality, and cheap way to input the mic audio into my HDMI stream. Even if I could do this, the mounted or mobile TVs being used in the overflow rooms would be providing the audio which is far inferior to the room's built-in audio system.

The video only HDMI feed comes from a mounted chapel camera, with an HDMI run directly to the wall plate below, which I tap into and send over the J-Tech TX box to the RX boxes. In the overflow rooms I just turn on the "overflow mic" using the fancy (but dated) green LCD screen switch/buttons. The camera's HDMI run does not return to the tech closest in the chapel, it's about a 10' run from the camera to the wall plate. I stream to YouTube Live to our remote buildings and those that are homebound, using OBS. We used to setup laptops and receive the stream in the overflow rooms, but I felt that experience introduced several other problems so we moved to J-Tech boxes. I'm not sure how to fix this lag issue with my current setup. Is it possible to reduce the video lag somehow? Maybe by isolating the network ports in the overflow rooms to a smaller IGMP snooping supported gigabit switch? Or should I just deal with the lag? How are others doing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's three places you might have delay:
  • The camera itself
  • The J-Tech boxes
  • The TV
I'd suggest some testing to see if you can break it down and find out how much each step adds.

I know I've seen features in the past on a projector that added a delay on the video. You might look for the same on the TV.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

For stake conference, I use the J-Tech HDMI over CAT5e boxes in the overflow building(s). Basically, the HDMI from the receive laptop gets split, with one branch going to the front projector, and the other going to the J-Tech Tx/Rx pair with 100' of CAT5e in between to hook up a rear projector. The audio goes either from the laptop or front projector to the overhead sound system. Been using this same setup for several years and I've never experienced any lip-sync issues (and I'm pretty critical of that sort of thing also).

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”