cubs

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sorensonj1

cubs

Post by sorensonj1 »

I'm a lot confused and at a loss at the assumptions made by this forum and stake leadership that something like cubs is some commonly known term or acronym. This is my deep breath. I had cubs thrown out at me at a meeting with a stake clerk tonight and thought he was referring to cub scouts. I have a sense that is not the case as I have pondered my earlier meeting. Been a ward clerk now for four months and I feel like I'm having to break some good boys club secrets to get information and training. Back to deep breathing.
davesudweeks

Re: cubs

Post by davesudweeks »

The stake clerk was probably referring to the Church Unit Banking Services that was rolled out to the US in 2010. More information here:
http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Church_Unit_Ba ... ces_(CUBS)

I believe he is simply referring to the financial budgeting system currently used in the USA (and I presume other locations but I don't know that).
sorensonj1

Post by sorensonj1 »

Thank you for your explanation. That is exactly what the stake clerk was referring to and totally makes sense now. Unfortunately, I work for an attorney who regularly uses what are called defined terms, however, the defined terms are always defined. I see terms and acronyms used in this forum with the assumption everyone knows their meaning. I appreciate you clearing my mind.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

sorensonj1 wrote:I see terms and acronyms used in this forum with the assumption everyone knows their meaning.
Unfortunately, this is true in many fields of interest. A list of terms, abbreviations, and acronyms commonly used in this forum can be found here:

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Glossary
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I have seen this as well. I'm not sure why people have a tendency to abbreviate everything, but it can be frustrating. :) Good luck!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Unfortunately, it's one of the things we do -- often to a fault. To push it to its extreme:

From The R.M. (the movie):
You're not just an RM. You're an LDS RM; who's trained at the MTC; who became a DL, a ZL, and an AP; who was promised long ago by his bishop through a PPI after BYC that someday he'd be the EQP. I smell GA!
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

And if you think the Church is bad, try the Military! :roll:
PHJensen

Post by PHJensen »

Maybe you could simply just ask the Stake Clerk what CUBS means.. Simple as that...Problem solved.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

A list of terms, abbreviations, and acronyms commonly used in this forum can be found here
Also note that list is tremendously helpful to members like myself, but not always up-to-date. For example, two entries above CUBS you'll find "Court", which is listed as 'obsolete' and replaced by Disciplinary Council. Which of course is now also obsolete, having been replaced by Membership Council. And the Disciplinary Council entry references the obsolete Handbook 1. That's the great thing about posting something helpful online -- once things inevitably change, there's always somebody later on who pokes holes in what they spent time doing to help others ;)
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

When I was the stake clerk and first heard of CUBS I was kind of offended as the Milwaukee Brewers and the Chicago Cubs have a long rivalry and I thought the Church was taking sides :)

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”