Priests ordaining Deacons, Teachers, Priests

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
BrianEdwards

Re: Priests ordaining Deacons, Teachers, Priests

Post by BrianEdwards »

In this case, what about the step “give words of blessing…” ? I cannot find any general instruction on this.
As you note, there's a difference between what's generally referred to as a Priesthood Blessing (administering to the sick GHB 18.13.1, or blessings of comfort and counsel GHB 18.14.1), and giving words of blessing. In the section on conferring the priesthood and ordaining to an office, in GHB 18.10.4 (who performs the ordinance) and GHB 18.10.5 (instructions), there is no distinction made between an authorized Priest and a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in who can "gives words of blessing as guided by the Spirit." (step 5 in the instructions)

Additionally, there is specific wording in GHB 18.10.5 that "An ordination is an opportunity to give a blessing." If a Priest was not able to give words of blessing when ordaining, that would seem to go counter to this specific instruction.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

While an ordination is an opportunity to give a blessing, a blessing is not a required component of the ordination. If the priest were uncomfortable about giving a blessing, he could simply complete the ordination. Sometimes we get hung up on a tradition of doing things a certain way and while tradition can be a very good thing, it isn't necessarily doctrine.
specialkwest

Post by specialkwest »

In 18.10.5 the handbook states:

States the authority he personally holds to perform the ordinance (either the Aaronic or Melchizedek Priesthood).

Regarding the question of we vs I, the handbook isn’t clear and either would be acceptable in my opinion. This is probably one of those areas where “we” feels more appropriate given all those men/priests are there standing together, but again I think either would be fine.

Return to “General Discussions”