SOLUTION: LDS directory services are unavailable

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
schestev

Re: SOLUTION: LDS directory services are unavailable

Post by schestev »

I had a sister bring me her Samsung phone today asking if I could help her get Member Tools installed. She cannot get past the Sync stage when logging in using the Android App. The error pops us stating the directory services are unavailable. Try again later.
I helped her uninstall and go to the play store to re-intall it a couple of times. Nope. I did a quick once-over on her phone settings, security, etc. comparing hers to mine. Same.
I logged into the Tool on her phone using my account and got in, no issues.
She logged into the Tool on my phone and failed.
Interesting that an observation made earlier in this thread about once having special access due to callings also applies here. She was in the ward relief society presidency until recently.

I am looking for some solid suggestions from this group or elsewhere to help her resolve this problem. This would appear to be an issue that requires someone with elevated admin authority to fix.
Is there a pathway to escalate issues such as this to, say, the developers/engineers of the app, or an account admin who can toggle/reset something on her account?
Thanks.
And thank you to those responsible for these forums. They usually help me find the answers to problems such as this one.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since you said she was released, something you might want to try is to delete all the data from the app. I'm not sure if uninstall clears that out. I'm wondering of the app gets confused when the data coming down no longer updates leadership tables that are in the device's storage or cache. I could see that as a bug that flies below the testing radar.

As for reporting it, I'd use the in-app "contact us". That goes to the right people with some data to help them troubleshoot. I would mention the issue about how the problem seems to follow an individual's calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgjohnson

Post by sasgjohnson »

Same problem here. Uninstalled and reinstalled twice still can't access.
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone and I was having the same problem and an uninstall and reinstall seemed to resolve the issue.
strattonce

Post by strattonce »

I have the T-Mobile Revvl. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app allowed me to sync.
supercc123

Post by supercc123 »

yo recien estoy teniendo ese problema. alguien pudo solucionarlo?
joelweight

Post by joelweight »

uninstalled, re-installed. No luck. deleted cache, deleted app data, then uninstalled and reinstalled again and still stuck. I use this tool all the time... any help would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joelweight wrote:uninstalled, re-installed. No luck. deleted cache, deleted app data, then uninstalled and reinstalled again and still stuck. I use this tool all the time... any help would be appreciated.
Do you have any internet filtering installed on your device or network? It might be blocking access to the servers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kevinjgray

Post by kevinjgray »

Same problem as joelweight. I was fine until auto update to 4.0.1 last week. App will not complete "Updating" after signing in, ever since app update to 4.0.1. I have cleared cache and app data, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, signed in, with same error "Member Services unavailable, try again later" at least once a day for 5 days now. I used the app "Contact Us" (menu 3 vertical dots before signing in) to send the error logs in, but have not heard back yet. My wife can sign in just fine, but she does not have a calling requiring PIN use, and her app has not updated from 3.6 to the new 4.0.1 yet. I have tried with and without bootup and screen lock security on the phone itself. By the way, with a new install, none of the necessary permissions are set, but even setting them all to Allowed before starting MT does not fix the update problem.

The error logs sent to membertools@churchofjesuschrist.org contain these error lines, which all seem to point to some sort of authentication problem, hopefully meaningful to someone more knowledgeable than I am:
WARNING [MobileDevUtil:58] MobileDev not installed
SEVERE [DatabaseUtil:130] validateDatabase - table [Unit] is BLANK for database [member.db] is blank

There are several lines after "SYNC Started" indicating successful connection to church's servers, then

SEVERE [PushRepository$registerDevice:44] Unable to generate token for device!
java.io.IOException: SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE
at com.google.firebase.iid.zzl.zza(com.google.firebase:firebase-iid@@20.0.2:60)
WARNING [Sync:490] Sync Update 02bbdd8d-449f-4912-b455-8ce89be3de44, Status: NOT_REGISTERED [null] is the last line.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kevinjgray wrote:Same problem as joelweight. I was fine until auto update to 4.0.1 last week. App will not complete "Updating" after signing in, ever since app update to 4.0.1. I have cleared cache and app data, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, signed in, with same error "Member Services unavailable, try again later" at least once a day for 5 days now. I used the app "Contact Us" (menu 3 vertical dots before signing in) to send the error logs in, but have not heard back yet. My wife can sign in just fine, but she does not have a calling requiring PIN use, and her app has not updated from 3.6 to the new 4.0.1 yet. I have tried with and without bootup and screen lock security on the phone itself. By the way, with a new install, none of the necessary permissions are set, but even setting them all to Allowed before starting MT does not fix the update problem.

The error logs sent to membertools@churchofjesuschrist.org contain these error lines, which all seem to point to some sort of authentication problem, hopefully meaningful to someone more knowledgeable than I am:
WARNING [MobileDevUtil:58] MobileDev not installed
SEVERE [DatabaseUtil:130] validateDatabase - table [Unit] is BLANK for database [member.db] is blank

There are several lines after "SYNC Started" indicating successful connection to church's servers, then

SEVERE [PushRepository$registerDevice:44] Unable to generate token for device!
java.io.IOException: SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE
at com.google.firebase.iid.zzl.zza(com.google.firebase:firebase-iid@@20.0.2:60)
WARNING [Sync:490] Sync Update 02bbdd8d-449f-4912-b455-8ce89be3de44, Status: NOT_REGISTERED [null] is the last line.
Those lines would probably be helpful to a developer. What kind of device do you have? The line about com.google.firebase having an issue could indicate being on a Kindle Fire or another device without access to Google Play Services. Some com.google.firebase services are supported without Google Play Services; others aren't. Do you have the latest version of Google Play Services installed?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”