LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
pabloh007

Re: LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey! @jfield25 I sent you a couple of PM's let me know if you got them! but I sent the url and some demo credentials to play around.
jfield25

Post by jfield25 »

@pabloh007 I got your private message! thanks for sending it. I have a few more questions to ask if you are available but the forum won't let me send a private message.

Any change you could private message me your email address so that we could begin a correspondence?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jfield25 wrote:I have a few more questions to ask if you are available but the forum won't let me send a private message.
You should be able to send one now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mariamherrmann

Post by mariamherrmann »

Does anyone have a work around to send text through tools?
I'm using an iPhone 12. I can create a list for my presidency members and send a text to them, but any other list doesn't send. Are there limits to group size? I've kept lists to sizes of 8-12. Is that something I can change in my phone preferences? I can send email to all of the lists that I've created in Member tools, so I'm thinking that my problem is phone or carrier based. I'm willing to buy a new phone to make this practical.

We used to have a lot of success reaching families through email and social media, but everyone's habits changed in 2020 and we are having to resort to other methods. Text seems to be the most appreciated mode of communication, lately.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mariamherrmann wrote:Does anyone have a work around to send text through tools?
I'm using an iPhone 12. I can create a list for my presidency members and send a text to them, but any other list doesn't send. Are there limits to group size? I've kept lists to sizes of 8-12. Is that something I can change in my phone preferences? I can send email to all of the lists that I've created in Member tools, so I'm thinking that my problem is phone or carrier based. I'm willing to buy a new phone to make this practical.
Many have reported carrier limitation as being the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rinaroo26

Post by rinaroo26 »

Most of my RS sisters would like a text reminder of activities in addition to the monthly email. I could use some instructions regarding Twilio and how to set up an account. I went on their website and was immediately overwhelmed. I am not tech-savvy and need some specific instructions if anyone has them. Also, some guidance on the excel spreadsheet that was mentioned. I'm willing to put in the work, but I need to know how to do it.
Debrabcox

Post by Debrabcox »

Editing lists
I have used the list on LDS tools to send out texts to our sisters now I'm the Relief Society Secretary. It will not let me delete any of the old list I have made years ago.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Member Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Post by lajackson »

Debrabcox wrote: It will not let me delete any of the old list I have made years ago.
In Member Tools, if you select the list and then click on the three-dot menu, you should see an option to delete the entire list.
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey guys I have been making good progress on the SMS web application using twilio. Please find below the official domain name.. Please note the application is free to use and I can help setup your ward

the only work required is doing the twilio setup. Which I have documented but seems to change often as they keep re-designing the UI.

https://ward-notification-pager.io

if you are interested in trying it for your ward. please PM me

I have been used it for my ward since the pandemic for about 8 months for zoom meeting links and as things started to open up a bit more we have been using it more as an alert reminder of activities like ward conferences, ward activities, etc.

my email without spaces

southbayldstech @ gmail

Once you email me I can send you some demo credentials so you can try it out and let me know if you are interested in using..
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Another update this past month I pushed out some more updates including ability to schedule messages to go out in the future. This was a request as I did a demo for another ward. Here is a list of the current future set

if interested or want to see a demo we can schedule something my email again is without spaces

southbayldstech @ gmail.com

- Schedule messages to be sent in the future for better planning
- Excel import for quicker loading of contacts.
- When toggled creates consent messages letting contacts of enrollments of notifications
- Ability to Opt Out through STOP / UNSUBSCRIBED by not sending text messages should a contact reply with stop words
- Connect with twilio API
- supports Church Ward Organizations/Groups
- Create custom groups to target messages to
- Creating messages with a preview cost to compose cost effective messages
- Receive inbound text messages (*requires setup of web-hook for twilio number)
- Disable/Enable contacts to stop receiving
- Ability to Restart announcement enrollment by user texting START back to twilio phone number.
- Monitor Twilio Cost before sending messages.
- Keeps history of sent messages
- Ability to customize auto-reply when users send messages to twilio number.

Return to “Member Tools”