LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
pabloh007

Re: LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey! @sfchris for me it has been a manual input of phone numbers for my ward to start with. I may have more wards join the application and use as they see fit. I've deployed mine through AWS If you want to checkout I will private message you the link with demo credentials. I'm also interested to see how you built your integration with Twilio!
gavinearley

Post by gavinearley »

pabloh007 wrote:Recently I finished writing a web application for sending text messages to quorums and organizations.
I'm currently using it with my ward. There is a dependency on Twilio service to message groups/organizations.
If you would like to try it send me a message and I can create credentials and ward name along with a url.
Again you do need to have a twilio account setup I think they have $20 free credit to do some testing.

My user case may be unique.

We use it send zoom links for sacrament meeting and also for sunday school/relief society and elders quorum classes.

I went this route because most people in my ward have abilities to receive texts easily but not as much as reading emails or having a facebook account.

One of the benefits is you have one virtual phone number incoming texts go to that you can setup with a auto-bot reply. etc.

others are members usually check texts more frequently than emails
@pabloh007 I would love to see how you did this, or get a link to the demo. That would definitely be nice to have. My wife struggles with the Tools app on her iPhone. It has issues being able to send.
gavinearley

Post by gavinearley »

I am seeing an issue where on my wife's iPhone SE, she can't scroll the text window when sending a text. Also, the send button will often not work when she has more than 5-8 numbers included. It is very frustrating.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gavinearley wrote:Also, the send button will often not work when she has more than 5-8 numbers included. It is very frustrating.
Note that many service provides will not allow a large number of recipients. It's possible that's what you're running into.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey I will send you a private message with a link and a demo user @gavinearley I will send you a private message with a demo user credentials and link to the app
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

I have wrote a quick overview of the system. I am only sending links through private messages for now so if you are interested private message me for credentials.
Attachments
Ward Notification pager.pdf
(351.46 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

One more thing to add, Usually the twilio cost is something that we expense at my ward. Twilio cost will vary depending on how many contacts you are engaging and also how big your messages are. I tried to build an estimate cost for the bulk messages before you send so that helps to budget and re-write your message if it's too lengthy. Also the cost of notifications get stored in the system
ypurba

Post by ypurba »

We would like to use this SMS mass broadcasting to help everyone within our Stake for emergency broadcast system processing. Would we have to write a special program to use the twilio api to do so? We would like to also care for our neighbors that are not yet members of the Church of Jesus Christ in an emergency. Please email me or message me directly so we can collaborate on the best method. Thanks!
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey @ypurba,
I sent you a PM to give some demo credentials to try it out and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
jfield25

Post by jfield25 »

pabloh007 wrote:I have wrote a quick overview of the system. I am only sending links through private messages for now so if you are interested private message me for credentials.
Hi @pabloh007 - I am new to this forum and it will not let me send a private message. Can you send me a private message so that we can talk about your app? I have a couple questions. My ward is looking to implement a mass texting app.

Return to “Member Tools”