Calendar 3.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ThorntonJE

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Post by ThorntonJE »

I have the same concern. In the previous version, Setup and Cleanup times were visually displayed in the Location calendar Week view so that it was easy to see when the building was being used. I can see no way to see at a glance how fully the building is being used and what times are open for other events. The new version seems to require that I make a guess, enter the event and cross my fingers to see if there are any conflicts. The system shows the conflict and then I make another guess. It is not very user-friendly in that regard. I liked being able to see the setup and cleanup times in just the location calendars.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I keep hoping this will be fixed/changed. It causes me much grief also.
alexsbradley

Post by alexsbradley »

There used to be a Settings -> Import Event feature with which one could import events from a .ics file. Is that still available somewhere?
bweight

Post by bweight »

I second the need to put back in the IMPORT events from a .ics file. This was very handy when trying to put in hundreds of events across multiple calendars for the entire year. (I am the Stake Clerk and have this responsibility each year). I could load them all in about 3 minutes, now I have to create each one manually. It is going to take hours and be prone to errors. Please bring it back if not immediately, at least for next year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem with importing is that it won't block off the use of the building. That's a key part of the calendar system.

The development cycle is far too slow to do this in time for the coming year. I'd suggest allowing each group to enter their own events and make use of repeating events. That should dramatically cut your workload.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

In my stake the Stake organizations input their stake level events during the month of October for the upcoming year. Current agent bishop completes upcoming year schedule for the entire building he is agent bishop for. This is submitted to stake webmaster who then, in the past has distributed to the building scheduler who puts in restrictions for known reoccurring assigned events such as Relief Society evening, Youth Activities (prev mutual), Activity Days, and Ward Nights. This year Stake webmaster was assigned to put in all restrictions for all 4 buildings. Will see how that goes. Around mid November the stake webmaster notifies the high councilman assigned to each ward that they may now input their ward events. This system works very well in our stake.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Ours works a lot the same...
Stake puts their items on through end of November.
Wards put their events on the calendar for events in their own buildings (either repeating stuff that is agreed upon through the agent Bishop for the building or parties/events). They have until the end of January to schedule them.
Wards put events in buildings that are not theirs. They have until the end of February to schedule them.
Starting March 1, private events can be scheduled through the Stake Building Scheduler for the rest of the year.

We don’t use the restriction process (I find it causes more problems than it is worth, but that is just us).
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Worst nightmare with restrictions is when two wards use building for repeating event on same night i.e. mutual.
When using restrictions can only select one ward to do all input. No option to choose more than one ward.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

That is one of the reasons we don’t use it. Also, it is hard to train people on how to make reservations without having to teach them about restrictions also. LOL
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

NOOOOOOOO, it looks like some time this afternoon the security model was changed and now I only have access to my Ward and Stake calendars (I am an administrator). Before this, for the past 9+ months, I have access to all of the calendars for all of the Wards in my Stake. This was a major help to assisting with calendaring in the Stake.

I wish this was back!

Return to “Calendar”