Calendar 3.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
casper684

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Post by casper684 »

Oh thank you so much I just had this problem this morning. A relief society secretary not being able to access as her calling had not been inputted
bweight

Post by bweight »

russellhltn wrote:The problem with importing is that it won't block off the use of the building. That's a key part of the calendar system.

The development cycle is far too slow to do this in time for the coming year. I'd suggest allowing each group to enter their own events and make use of repeating events. That should dramatically cut your workload.
That is disappointing. Why would you remove a perfectly good feature when trying to make improvements.

Yes, we have to go back in and then update the events to reserve the building, but it cuts down on getting the wrong dates, times and text into the event and it does all of the events across multiple calendars.

I have to put in HC meetings, HC speaking assignments, Organization training, priesthood meetings, PPIs for all bishops, bishopric training, bishopric welfare, stake conference, all ward conference, all ward visits, etc. Many of these have text in the description that indicates who should attend, assignments, etc. These don't fall on reoccuring schedules necessarily. Some of them are close and I will use that and then manually edit were needed.

It would be nice if there was a DUPLICATE feature that would make a copy of the event and then I could just change the date and time. That will way better than having to start with a blank event each time.

I appreciate all of the work everyone does on these systems and they have come a long way in the past 5 years, but again, why remove perfectly good features during an UPGRADE. I would rather have the old calendar system back with its feature set than the new one that as far as I can tell only has changes in the looks and layout (which don't necessarily improve it).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bweight wrote:Why would you remove a perfectly good feature when trying to make improvements.
No one in this forum has had anything to do with this. This is a user-to-user mutual support forum with people just like you helping each other. Those who can answer your question most likely will never see it since they seldom, if ever, frequent these forums. If they have they have not exposed their identity to us. If you want your concerns to get to those who make decisions we recommend using the feedback link found at the bottom of the churchofjesuschrist.org home page - there is no link on the Calendar page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bweight wrote:why remove perfectly good features during an UPGRADE.
I think it was a re-write. I doubt if they re-wrote it just for fun. Especially with their backlog of projects. I'm guessing there was something about the old code that required an expensive infrastructure. That's how we lost the Lesson Schedule and Bulletin features - not enough use to justify the re-write. As such, I don't think the import was removed as much as left out.

I think the original purpose of the import was to help units transition from calendar 1.x that was part of the Local Unit Website. That need has long past.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bweight wrote:It would be nice if there was a DUPLICATE feature that would make a copy of the event and then I could just change the date and time. That will way better than having to start with a blank event each time.
I don't have rights to edit the calendar currently, but it used to be that you could right-click on a calendar event (at least in the month view) and copy, then right-click on another day and paste. Is that still possible?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

How to accomplish Stake President direction on calendar:
"The Stake calendar should reflect that every 4th Thursday of the month is reserved for Stake meetings. No meetings should be scheduled on that night which could conflict with a stake meeting."
Only way I can figure is if each of the 4 building schedulers do entry for their building as an event to block all scheduling. Stake organization then would notify stake webmaster of need for a particular date and he would communicate to all 4 buildings to edit entry?? Thank you this is a real puzzle.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote:How to accomplish Stake President direction on calendar:
"The Stake calendar should reflect that every 4th Thursday of the month is reserved for Stake meetings. No meetings should be scheduled on that night which could conflict with a stake meeting."
Have the building scheduler place a restriction on the building for the stake. Then, only the stake can schedule events for that building on that day.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The stake president appears to want to restrict a time block regardless of location. But even if every location in the stake is either scheduled or restricted, anyone can still create an event with no meetinghouse location specified, and it would still conflict with stake meetings. The calendar only prevents you from over-scheduling physical locations, not blocks of time.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

casper684 wrote:"...No meetings should be scheduled on that night which could conflict with a stake meeting."
This is the key. It would appear the stake president wants everyone in the stake to pre-check if a stake meeting is scheduled and not schedule over it. This pre-check cannot be done with Member Tools - it must be done on the calendar online.

As previously noted, the technology will not prevent someone from scheduling a meeting without a resource and then go to the building to have that meeting. In addition, the technology will not force any member to follow the guidance of the stake president. In my opinion, there is a certain amount of personal obedience that will be required to comply with his directive that they check first and honor the scheduled stake meetings. Nothing any programmer can do will fix this.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

russellhltn wrote:
casper684 wrote:How to accomplish Stake President direction on calendar:
Have the building scheduler place a restriction on the building for the stake. Then, only the stake can schedule events for that building on that day.
I tried the restriction but I must choose who to restrict it to and no good choices unless I choose entire stake and that defeats purpose also what calendar to put it on? My best guess would be "Stake Events" calendar. OR schedule event which would read RESERVED for Stake meetings ONLY in EACH of the 4 buildings for time period 7-8:45 pm on 4th Thursdays of the month and notation to contact building scheduler to schedule.

Return to “Calendar”