Electronic reimbursements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chriswoodut

Re: Electronic reimbursements

Post by chriswoodut »

Biggles wrote:
eblood66 wrote:
Biggles wrote:Although you will get a notification that you can’t enter your own expense, you can in fact enter the expense. What you can’t do is approve it.
Unless something has changed, when you enter the expense it considers you the first approver. it will requires a second approver but it's supposed to have two approvers other than yourself and that doesn't happen (or at least didn't) when you enter an expense for yourself. As far as i could ever tell you need to have someone else enter the expense and then a 3rd person approve it to conform to policy.
Here in the UK, I can enter an expense for myself, but the system displays a notification to the effect l can’t. However it allows me to proceed with the process. If, as an experiment, I try to approve the expense, it quite rightly doesn’t allow that. Two alternative approvers are then required to complete the process.
Also see my post #99 in this thread.
This would be great if it does allow 2 approvals after I enter a reimbursement to myself. It isn't clear that it is doing that. I've been concerned that the message warning me is indicating I'm approving my own request.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

As I mentioned try it and you will find it won’t let you approve your own expense! If you can something has gone wrong with the system.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Biggles wrote:As I mentioned try it and you will find it won’t let you approve your own expense! If you can something has gone wrong with the system.
But the normal process I always used did not require that I approve the expenses I entered. I would enter them, the bishop (usually) would approve and they would be paid. There was never a separate step for me to approve the expense I entered and there was never a 3rd person involved. It also showed me as the first approver immediately after I entered the expense.

But it's possible there is a difference in how it works in the UK and in the US.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

That would appear to be the case, as I have to go to the Approvals tab (regardless of who the expense is for) and review the expense(s) before I can actually approve them.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

If a reimbursement is going to me, I've been having the two counselors enter and approve it. I haven't entered it myself because of the warning. I'll have to try it to see if it requires 2 approvals after I enter. If I'm entering a request for another person, my entry gets counted as the first approval.
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

During the last audit cycle (July-December 2019 several ward clerks entered expenses for reimbursement to themselves. The audit system flagged these expenses for audit since the payee was one of the approvers. I recommended to the ward clerks to have one of the counselors enter the expense to avoid the very appearance of impropriety.

William Woodford
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

wwoodford wrote:During the last audit cycle (July-December 2019 several ward clerks entered expenses for reimbursement to themselves. The audit system flagged these expenses for audit since the payee was one of the approvers. I recommended to the ward clerks to have one of the counselors enter the expense to avoid the very appearance of impropriety.

William Woodford
It would appear that maybe the US system doesn’t appear have the same safeguard system we have in the UK!
Last edited by Biggles on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

Biggles wrote:
wwoodford wrote:During the last audit cycle (July-December 2019 several ward clerks entered expenses for reimbursement to themselves. The audit system flagged these expenses for audit since the payee was one of the approvers. I recommended to the ward clerks to have one of the counselors enter the expense to avoid the very appearance of impropriety.

William Woodford
It would appear that the US system doesn’t appear have the same safeguard system we have in the UK!
I wonder if the change was put in place when the programmers introduced the new system for organization leaders to enter their own requests.
Centralo

Post by Centralo »

Could a clerk begin a reimbursement EFT from his home, sign off on it, and then have a bishop or counselor sign off on the same expense from his home and complete the procedure?
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

Centralo wrote:Could a clerk begin a reimbursement EFT from his home, sign off on it, and then have a bishop or counselor sign off on the same expense from his home and complete the procedure?
Yes, that's how we do it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”