Single Adult Ward

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Single Adult Ward

Post by lajackson »

enimacario wrote:My brother Eber, would like to go over 45 ward in Utah.
There are not any "over 45" wards in the Church. Generally, single adult members ages 31 and over are best served in conventional wards. He should be attending the ward in which he lives.

There are, however, many activities that are meant for single adults to allow them to serve, lead, and socialize with other single members.

I would suggest that your brother visit with other single members his ward to learn how they communicate activities with each other. He might also contact the single adult representative in his stake if there is one. There normally also will be a high councilor or a member of the stake presidency who has responsibility for single adults in the stake.

He should serve in his ward in any calling given to him by the bishopric. Then, if he will participate in other single adult activities he will be able to meet many others, including sisters, and be able to form friendships with them.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I think the only way to find these groups is through networking at singles activities. Find out what happens in your area and chances are you may find helpful people who know the singles scene. For example, our stake has a 45+ singles magnet family ward. Any singles 45+ in the stake can choose to have their records in that family ward. I don't think it's well publicized, but it exists.
towngreen1

Re: Single Adult Wards

Post by towngreen1 »

Is their a 45+ singles gathering near Inverness Florida? I'd yes were and what kind of dress ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Single Adult Wards

Post by russellhltn »

towngreen1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:07 am Is their a 45+ singles gathering near Inverness Florida? I'd yes were and what kind of dress ?
Please see the post before yours. You'll need to network with the local members. Odds are against anyone in the forum having an answer for you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Go online and search for something like "Mormon Singles Conference." I just did and found various things that popped up. You'll may need to discern between what are church-organized activities and things that might be private dating services. Someone mentioned in a previous comment that he searched for Single Adult wards in the USA and only found a couple on the East coast...none in Florida (I don't know how long ago he did the search; things could have changed since then). Some of them look like Facebook groups. You might be able to network there to see if anything is in your area.

There are church-sponsored events. I'm on the West coast and periodically see official church-sponsored conferences here, and sometimes people travel from a ways away to attend the activities and conferences.

If you don't see much happening in your area, perhaps the Lord is calling you to be a pioneer in reaching out to other 45+ members who are in need of fellowship. There's a pretty diverse need in that crowd. I'd recommend talking to a stake presidency counselor about the needs of singles. Sometimes they really aren't aware. I think it was recently that the church said that the majority of church members in the USA are now single (they said outside of USA it's been that way for a while). Does your stake have Single Adult reps called? If so, reach out to them and see what they know. It might be a place to start networking. And if your stake doesn't have any Single Adult reps called...who knows, you could receive that calling.

Inverness, FL looks like it's a less-populated area. You might need to travel to places like Tampa, Orland, or Jacksonville...or even Atlanta...for some singles gatherings. I know not everyone is in a personal or family situation where travel is possible. But, maybe if needs are known (child care, watching house, etc.), members may volunteer to help so you can go to a weekend conference.

I hope something above might help you get started in finding out more. It can be a challenge. I have a family member as well as other church friends in the 45+ single category, so I tend to hear a little bit about the happenings.
johngw

Post by johngw »

Single Adult Wards
Generally, single adult members (ages 31–45) are best served in geographic units.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng
Stake clerk in Sweden Stockholm South Stake.
John Wennerlund
ek.kamrer@ssstav.org
+46703557505
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johngw wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:31 am Generally, single adult members (ages 31–45) are best served in geographic units

I know that's what the handbook says, but I know several single adults that would disagree.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Chrystal1

Re: Single Adult Ward 50+

Post by Chrystal1 »

I am in the same boat. My husband passed away a couple of years ago and I do not know where to go to find single friends my age. My ward is a family ward and I feel out of place there. I have no callings. I supposed people my age are archaic and don't get to have a social life or callings. If anyone knows of a 50+ singles ward in Northern Utah, please let me know.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Chrystal1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:09 am I am in the same boat. My husband passed away a couple of years ago and I do not know where to go to find single friends my age. My ward is a family ward and I feel out of place there. I have no callings. I supposed people my age are archaic and don't get to have a social life or callings. If anyone knows of a 50+ singles ward in Northern Utah, please let me know.
The church does not authorize singles wards for 50+, so you will not find such a ward. However, here are some other thoughts:
  • Think about your needs and goals (which may change over time). Are you looking to get remarried? Are you looking for service opportunities? Are you looking for social opportunities? Did the death of your spouse leave you with financial problems? Are you unsure?
  • If you have ministering sisters/brothers and feel comfortable doing so, talk to them about your situation. Blessings sometimes come through these people who are called to minister to you.
  • Meet with both your Relief Society president and your bishop. Let them know how you're feeling, including your desire to serve. If you have any thoughts about callings where you'd like to serve, let them know about those callings. Sometimes inspiration comes from information.
  • Meet with someone in the stake Relief Society presidency and talk about your situation. Chances are you're not the only person feeling the way you do in your ward or stake.
  • Meet with a member of your stake presidency, or possibly the stake president and talk about your situation.
  • Be patient. Often times things don't move quickly in the church.
  • Use the meetinghouse locator to look for a Single Adult (31-45) ward in your area. You reference "Northern Utah" and that's a big area. I see an SA ward in Logan and then several between Ogden and Provo. You won't be able to transfer your membership to such a ward; however, depending on how far over 45 you are, you might be comfortable attending some of the activities. You might also meet other people in your situation and find out about other activities, informal groups, etc.
  • Look online for groups. You made a post here in this forum so you have some comfort on the internet. Be careful, as some groups you find may not be what they seem (critical of the church, etc.). If one of your goals is remarriage, you could also investigate various dating sites that cater to church members. These are private businesses, but might be a way to help you meet people. Online activities (whether for marriage or just social) can be very good, but can also be very dangerous. Make sure you have a trusted friend or friends with whom you discuss your activities, any planned meetups, etc.
  • Is serving a full- or part-time mission the right thing for you to do? There are opportunities to serve while living in your home and opportunities to serve by going elsewhere. Here is information about senior missions: https://seniormissionary.churchofjesusc ... /?lang=eng
As I've mentioned previously, a stake presidency could feel inspired to make organizational changes, such as designating a singles magnet family ward in the stake where single members have the option of moving their records. Maybe that ward has additional support programs for those members. Such actions would likely be done in consultation with the stake Relief Society presidency and bishops. The stake president could also have other inspiration on things to do and also discusses situations in his stake with other priesthood leaders, such as general authorities.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:13 am The church does not authorize singles wards for 50+, so you will not find such a ward.
This is true. SA wards are for Single Members 31-45. However, it's quite possible some ward consider the upper age limit as a suggestion rather than a rule.

I'd start the search by typing your address into the Meetinghouse Locator to see what wards cover your location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”