Supported iOS versions for Gospel Library

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
Skiflorida

Re: Supported iOS versions for Gospel Library

Post by Skiflorida »

I deleted the older version of GL thinking that might be the problem my older iPad was experiencing while trying to update. Funny thing about it, as I deleted it, I actually thought I might not be able to get it back.

Is there a place where I can download an older version of GL or is it gone for good?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Skiflorida wrote:I deleted the older version of GL thinking that might be the problem my older iPad was experiencing while trying to update. Funny thing about it, as I deleted it, I actually thought I might not be able to get it back.

Is there a place where I can download an older version of GL or is it gone for good?
Did you check under the Purchased tab in the App Store?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bradlywilson

Post by bradlywilson »

sbradshaw wrote:
Skiflorida wrote:I deleted the older version of GL thinking that might be the problem my older iPad was experiencing while trying to update. Funny thing about it, as I deleted it, I actually thought I might not be able to get it back.

Did you check under the Purchased tab in the App Store?
I am in the same boat. Under the purchased tab when you attempt to install it just says "Gospel Library is not compatible with this iPad". How can we get the older versions installed, maybe using a sync via iTunes or some other alternative way? Anyone know how?
bradlywilson

Post by bradlywilson »

russellhltn wrote:
geysser wrote:Do the general authorities know this. It appears you have taken a most valuable resource away from those who can't afford to upgrade their ipads? This isn't a local issue, it's worldwide.
This isn't really the church's decision.
  • Apple chose to stop issuing iOS updates for those model iPads.
  • Apple has update polices that lock-in the application for those older units and prevents updates.
Once the church has need to update the app, in part to change servers and in part to secure the Church Account login (standards do change), these older devices are left behind.

It's really not the church's choice. If you want to run on Apple's platform, you play by Apple's rules.
Thanks for pointing this out. However it does seem to be partly the Church's choice of SDK. I have not had this issue with any other app. I use for example the Bible app by YouVersion, which has had several updates, or the virtual New Testament app from BYU. I have lots of apps that have similar features to the Gospel Library but function fine on my device. So it appears there would be a means to use a kit or a set of libraries that still work across many iOS versions.
If this is the case I would suggest the developers consider using a different SDK, or stick with the older version of the SDK, or any number of other solutions. As pointed out, this affects Saints worldwide; I don't get a new device because I don't want to, but there are many in the world who simply can't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bradlywilson wrote:I have not had this issue with any other app. I use for example the Bible app by YouVersion, which has had several updates, or the virtual New Testament app from BYU. I have lots of apps that have similar features to the Gospel Library but function fine on my device.
But they don't log into into your Church Account. Part of the issue is maintaining security for that account.

Without the Church Account, any notes taken will disappear when the device fails or is replaced.

The bottom line is that this is a user-to-user forum. We have no say in what the church decides to do. I've been told in the past that the product managers are aware of how many users are on older devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lproff

Post by lproff »

My iPad is on iOS version 10.3.3 and cannot go any higher. The have Gospel Library version 5.1.1. I am unable to get it to login and sync with my lds account. Is the iOS version the reason?
Thank you,
Lance
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lproff wrote:My iPad is on iOS version 10.3.3 and cannot go any higher. The have Gospel Library version 5.1.1. I am unable to get it to login and sync with my lds account. Is the iOS version the reason?
Thank you,
Lance
There were some server changes recently. Are you able to sign in and sync now?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lproff

Post by lproff »

Thank you. Yes, I am able to sign in now.
dappleton09

Post by dappleton09 »

I have a member that is running 9.x.x and l have installed an older version of Gospel Library on his device, and l can download everything. Although, l'm puzzled why l can only download General Conference talks from 2016. Nothing from 2017 or 2018 is pulling down. Any thoughts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Older versions of Gospel Library do not receive content updates. I believe it has to do with changes in the way content is made available and other security issues.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”