participant release

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lisaheuer

participant release

Post by lisaheuer »

I am not finding an answer for this... do we need a participant release to take photos at YW Camp, Youth Conf, etc.? Photos are not going to be used for advertising or posted on social media, we aren't putting them on a blog or a website, just a final slideshow and sending a link to participants who wish to download.

What is the proper avenue? The participant release seems a bit overboard for this. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: participant release

Post by russellhltn »

internet.lds.org is titled "Use of Online Resources in Church Callings"

Item #6 says "Other people’s personal information must never be displayed. Images or videos of other people should not be displayed unless the individuals have given written consent."

Just "sending a link" is still an Online Resource, even if it's not social media. So, if it was my call to interpret, I'd say it's required.

I realize that's not the social norm. I suspect the policy is written to keep the church and its leaders out of legal trouble. All it would take is one parent to be upset by posting their children's photos on-line to make things ugly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Re: participant release (social media release) Photo, video, pictures, etc.

Post by 811574 »

I just sent the message below to the Church website feedback link. I think we as adult leaders need some legal help here with a social media release. Almost every youth organization I know of has a very specific photo/video/media release form. I'm not an attorney but I believe it is highly problematic for us as youth leaders to post any appropriate and wholesome picture of a child or youth without the parents written consent. The Participant release listed below is for performance related releases and doesn't address the general release as found in other media releases of other youth organizations.

I trying to find a release for youth to allow church leaders to use their pictures on a ward blog, social media, or to share them via google docs or via photos.google.com. I thought there was a different release than the form "Participant Release (Release to Use Name, Image, Voice, Likeness, and Performance)". However, after reading the handbook, it appears this is the only media related release form. Is there any other release parents are supposed to sign to allow leaders to take, keep and distribute wholesome and appropriate pictures and videos of youth during activities to other participants through an on-line media sharing portal or via social media? Maybe I'm thinking of other youth volunteer organizations, which have a media release. If there isn't such a release, the church really really needs to incorporate a media release into the standard youth permission slip to protect not only the youth, but also their leaders.

Thank you!

Dan Solomon

Return to “General Discussions”