Borrowing tables and chairs

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
drepouille

Borrowing tables and chairs

Post by drepouille »

Looking for a policy regarding allowing members to borrow tables and chairs from the meetinghouse for personal functions at other locations. Handbook 2 states that A/V equipment "may not be removed from the building for home or personal use." Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property states, "Local leaders may not grant permission for nonChurch use of Church facilities or [shared] property." This refers to real property, and not to furniture.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Borrowing tables and chairs

Post by russellhltn »

I can't find anything in the usual sources available to us. But I have sat in a meeting where FM stated that tables are chairs are not to leave the building - even if it's to go to a different church building. It does make sense since FM is responsible for the equipment and that gets hard when it's borrowed and put on a muddy lawn and who knows what else.

It just seems to me to open a Pandora's box to allow that. How do you prevent anyone with a key from doing that? How do you make sure it all gets returned in good condition?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Pandora's Box is already opened, I've seen this for 30 years just happen and It's another of those benefits of being in the Same Ten People your entire life, I have keys, why can't I just run and grab a table for my garage sale.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
casper684

Post by casper684 »

russellhltn wrote:I can't find anything in the usual sources available to us. But I have sat in a meeting where FM stated that tables are chairs are not to leave the building - even if it's to go to a different church building. It does make sense since FM is responsible for the equipment and that gets hard when it's borrowed and put on a muddy lawn and who knows what else.
Funny, I had this very question today and couldn't find anything in the "Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property". Member wanted to borrow chairs and it is my understanding that "furnishings" do not leave the building but could not find a source to quote. Called FM group and awaiting reply.

This site is quite helpful :-)
Last edited by russellhltn on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken quote tag
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote:Funny, I had this very question today and couldn't find anything in the "Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property". Member wanted to borrow chairs and it is my understanding that "furnishings" do not leave the building but could not find a source to quote. Called FM group and awaiting reply.
I'll note that the computers are under the authority of the stake, even if they're assigned to a single ward. By the same theory, I tend to doubt if the building furnishings "belong" to the ward, but either the stake or FM. So, if FM doesn't have an answer, I'd check with the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TomPittman7

Post by TomPittman7 »

I was hoping someone had an answer on this. We have had members take many round tables and chairs from the building for a wedding reception in their yard at home, only to have another ward sharing the building who scheduled the cultural hall discover their event doesn't have adequate tables and chairs.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The FM owns the building and all the furnishings. So ask your stake PFR. The answer will probably be no.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
casper684

Post by casper684 »

russellhltn wrote:
casper684 wrote:Funny, I had this very question today and couldn't find anything in the "Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property". Member wanted to borrow chairs and it is my understanding that "furnishings" do not leave the building but could not find a source to quote. Called FM group and awaiting reply.
I'll note that the computers are under the authority of the stake, even if they're assigned to a single ward. By the same theory, I tend to doubt if the building furnishings "belong" to the ward, but either the stake or FM. So, if FM doesn't have an answer, I'd check with the stake.
I never replied back to this one. I was told by FM group that NO furnishings do NOT leave the building. No "official" source to quote for me other than name of
FM leader that told me. Sorry couldn't be more help.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Bostro1m wrote:How would you keep anybody with a key from doing that?
Train them and by following the admonition of the Prophet Joseph Smith: “I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves.”
Doctrine and Covenants 58:26 "For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mtrcycrdr

Post by mtrcycrdr »

The bldg, furnishings... are for the purpose of the gospel. Borrowing these items for personal use seems to be a bit selfish.

Return to “General Discussions”