Changes to LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Changes to LUWS

Post by jdlessley »

Today I noticed a change in the font format for many of the LUWS pages. It was immediately noticeable on unit home pages. It appears that the font has changed or at least been reduced in size. Oddly enough though the part of the home pages in which the font, or font size, has not changed is the unit address and phone number section. There is no font change for any of the calendars as far as I can tell.

Has anybody else noticed this?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I see it too. Makes the page look odd with text too small for the space alloted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ajames

Post by ajames »

I only notice the difference with internet explorer. Firefox seems to parse the page just fine.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ajames wrote:I only notice the difference with internet explorer. Firefox seems to parse the page just fine.
Thanks for pointing out that it might be a distinction between browsers.

However, it looks fine to me even with Internet Explorer 7, and I see no change for Firefox 3. What version of IE are you all using?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for pointing out that it might be a distinction between browsers.

However, it looks fine to me even with Internet Explorer 7, and I see no change for Firefox 3. What version of IE are you all using?
There seems to be a pretty big difference in how IE8 will render a page than IE7, so it wouldn't surprise me if 8 is the culprit.

IE8 has the ability to render a page in it's new "standards compliant" IE 8 mode or in a compatibility mode for IE7 rendering. This can be triggered by the web server, web page itself, or even a separate, updatable compatibility list that Microsoft can continually update through Windows Update.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mkmurray wrote:There seems to be a pretty big difference in how IE8 will render a page than IE7, so it wouldn't surprise me if 8 is the culprit.

IE8 has the ability to render a page in it's new "standards compliant" IE 8 mode or in a compatibility mode for IE7 rendering. This can be triggered by the web server, web page itself, or even a separate, updatable compatibility list that Microsoft can continually update through Windows Update.
I'm seeing the same difference between IE and FF. I've got IE 8.0.6001.18702 and FF 3.5.1.

The page does not have a DOCTYPE declaration so IE should be rendering in quirks mode which even in IE8 should render the same as IE7 (but you never know). Since there is no DOCTYPE declaration IE8 isn't even offering the choice between IE 8 standards compliant mode and IE7 compatibility mode for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm running IE8 just as I have been since it went out to general release. So I'd say the culprit is some change that someone made.

I don't see a "compatibility mode" icon on LUWS. I'm not sure what that means. But even if I add lds.org to the compatibility mode list, it doesn't change anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I noticed the changes on IE8. I also use FF - but rarely. I have been using IE8 for several weeks and it displayed the LUWS pages in the 'normal' font until just recently. Something must have been changed for the the font size to change.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ShirtsDre

IE7 to IE8 compatibility

Post by ShirtsDre »

In order to allow more time to gracefully update legacy sites like LUWS from IE7 compatibility to IE8 the following meta tag was inserted into each page's head section:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:In order to allow more time to gracefully update legacy sites like LUWS from IE7 compatibility to IE8 the following meta tag was inserted into each page's head section:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
That's the problem then. The LUWS home page is obviously designed to render in quirks mode (it doesn't have a DOCTYPE declaration at the top). By adding the X-UA-Compatible meta tag with a value of IE=7 you've forced IE8 to render the page in IE7 standards mode instead.

The appropriate change would be to include the <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" /> tag instead. Then each page will render in either quirks mode or IE7 standards mode depending on the DOCTYPE of the page. See this IEBlog article for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/0 ... teie7.aspx

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”