How to reimage a clerk computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to reimage a clerk computer

Post by russellhltn »

I took a look. Unless I'm missing something, the church is no longer doing images (at least for clerk computers). Their link takes you to the same place as mine.

Since it's no longer an image, it's no longer specific to a particular model.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I took a look. Unless I'm missing something, the church is no longer doing images. Their link takes you to the same place as mine.
As I said, what the Church provides is not really an image. It is an installer. And perhaps it does take you to the MS site now. The last time I did it, it created a bootable flash drive that I then took and used to install Win 10 onto a clerk computer.
jwfranks

Post by jwfranks »

Thanks for all the updates. I am the STS but this PC was not upgraded to windows 10 during the upgrade period. I believe unless you go through the upgrade process from windows 7 it will not license the key for a fresh install. I can see if the upgrade will take. At this point it will either work or not and they will have to wait regardless. FM does have a new PC ordered that should ship by end of the month. I was trying to get them something up and running so they can process tithing in the mean time.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jwfranks wrote:I was trying to get them something up and running so they can process tithing in the mean time.
If necessary you can have them share a computer for this purpose with another ward. See the Help Center article Setting Up A Temporary MLS Computer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jwfranks wrote:Thanks for all the updates. I am the STS but this PC was not upgraded to windows 10 during the upgrade period. I believe unless you go through the upgrade process from windows 7 it will not license the key for a fresh install. I can see if the upgrade will take. At this point it will either work or not and they will have to wait regardless. FM does have a new PC ordered that should ship by end of the month. I was trying to get them something up and running so they can process tithing in the mean time.
Although officially the free W10 upgrade finished awhile back, the upgrade should still work. Microsoft just doesn’t go on about it. You have nothing to lose by trying!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If a brand-name PC (Dell, HP, etc) has a Windows 7 Pro license, you can upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:If a brand-name PC (Dell, HP, etc) has a Windows 7 Pro license, you can upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.
Usually, a PC from First-tier manufacturers will have the license burned into the motherboard where Window will see it and self-license. No need for a key.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joshandbrit02

Post by joshandbrit02 »

russellhltn wrote:I'd second what others have said. Try to find a manufacturing date on the device. If it's over 5 years old (it probably is), report that to FM as a "broken" computer. It may take longer, but you'll get a newer machine.

If you're really in a bind, you can download Windows 10 from Microsoft. While the time for free upgrades has past, from what I've heard, no one told Microsoft's servers. It seems to be a open secret that most can do a free upgrade to Win10.
I can confirm that you CAN upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 for free still.
Even though the free upgrade period is over, it still works, and I do this almost daily as I have been upgrading old Windows 7 PCs to Windows 10 for 3 elementary schools I run IT for.
Download an image of Windows 10 and install to a USB or burn to a DVD. When installing Windows 10 onto your old computer, it will ask you for your Windows 10 product key. Enter your Windows 7 product key into this window and it will accept it.
OR
You can hit the "I don't have a product key" option to make the install move forward, and once you have Windows 10 up and running, you can enter the Windows 7 product key in the activation menu.
Works great!
cabeft

Retrieving Windows 10 Product Key after Reimaging a Computer

Post by cabeft »

I have encountered this problem on reimaging a clerk computer resulting in the Windows OS not activated.

Online search has led me to this site: https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/serv ... oduct-key/

I successfully retrieved the Windows Product Key from BIOS using PowerShell and entering the following command as instructed in the site:

(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey

After getting the 25 character product key, go to Windows activation, click on Change Product key and input the retrieved product key.

You will see a screen saying that Windows is Activated.
In the Activation Window you will also see the Windows Edition and Activation info.
sareid

Post by sareid »

Our stake clerk computer is is need of being reimaged and we cannot get the windows 10 key. The computer will not load windows. I can get to command prompt, but that’s about it. I was able to save documents to a thumb drive via xcopy. I was hoping there would have been a backup.

What is the best way to get a new key? Call GSD?

Return to “Clerk Computers”