How to reimage a clerk computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to reimage a clerk computer

Post by russellhltn »

Under Windows 10, once the computer has been licensed it should license itself automatically when given a chance. Just install Windows. Make sure you have a working network connection and activate when prompted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

sareid wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 pm Our stake clerk computer is is need of being reimaged and we cannot get the windows 10 key. The computer will not load windows. I can get to command prompt, but that’s about it. I was able to save documents to a thumb drive via xcopy. I was hoping there would have been a backup.
If the computer has never had Windows 10 installed on it, you could use a Windows 7 or 8 license key to activate Windows 10. But let's take a step back. Even if you do not have a Windows license key, you should still be able to install Windows 10 ("I don't have a product key.") and get to a desktop screen. Windows 10 will not be activated until you enter a Windows 7/8/10 license key, or until the computer is able to reach out to Microsoft to check for a previous activation for this computer's footprint.

So you need to explain what you mean by "The computer will not load windows. I can get to command prompt, but that’s about it."
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Top-tier computers (Dell, HP, Lenovo) will have a "key" burned into the ROM. Keep in mind wards and stakes should not be buying or accepting donations of clerk computers.

I've never had an issue with licensing a top-tier computer for Windows 10 at home/work/church, even old ones that shipped with Windows 7. I've never needed a key.

What will run into problems is if you're trying to license a higher version of Windows, such as Enterprise. That would take a license key since clerk computers only come with Professional.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sareid

Post by sareid »

Thank you. Yes, when I turn on the computer, it tries to go into recovery mode. I am sometimes able to launch windows, but the Windows desktop does not load and gives me the error that "c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.". After which I click ok, and see a blank desktop, and cannot click or action anything from here. Recovery mode doesn't seem to help or provide anything further.

My guess is, that I should be good to reimage the computer with a fresh copy of Windows10, which is what was installed on it previously.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

sareid wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:12 am My guess is, that I should be good to reimage the computer with a fresh copy of Windows10, which is what was installed on it previously.
Yep. Microsoft should have your back with a cloud copy of your PC's license. Try to use the latest version of Windows 10 you can to avoid some of the long updates (some updating will be unavoidable) and if you're given a choice, select Windows Pro, although it may autodetect that. Best wishes.

Return to “Clerk Computers”