Sacrament Meeting Attendance

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
davesudweeks

Re: Sacrament Meeting Attendance

Post by davesudweeks »

rmwr wrote:How do you account for Stake Conference in the new Sacrament Meeting Attendance. Just post a zero?. Same question for cancelled Sacrament Meetings due to inclement weather?

scgallafent, you said just leave it blank. Is that official church policy? Wouldn't that have a negative impact on the average?
In another post, it has been reported that blanks or zeros for a sacrament meeting attendance are removed from the average calculation so they don't negatively impact the average. I would assume that means they average each week in the month where a number greater than 0 is recorded for that week.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

We have been using a spreadsheet, that works out the average, for many years to record sacrament attendance. We are now using both methods. The results are the same! The percentage will vary because of membership movements in and out, but not the average of actual attendance. Whether you use a zero, or not, won’t affect the final results.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

With most spreadsheets, if you average together a group of cells, the average function ignores empty cells. Likewise, this church software also appears to ignore empty dates.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
tproctor

Post by tproctor »

As a ward Clerk, after logging into LCR, you should have an option under the "Reports" menu that may or may not be highlighted in Yellow, that will say "Sacrament Meeting Attendance". Go there, and once it's loaded, you'll see a text box where you'll enter the count of attendance for the current week, and click "Save".
dsharrai

Post by dsharrai »

I agree it seems that leaving it blank(which is the only option I'm seeing right now) or putting a 0 would not be the most accurate way to record a Stake Conference weekend. Mainly because, as has been mentioned, it will throw off the percentage and it seems that the percentage is an important stat the church is wanting. My guess is that the church will be updating this in the future with a drop down menu for General and Stake Conference and/or, as was mentioned, Sundays that for whatever reason church was not held.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem with a list is the list of reasons can be quite long. A simple "no meeting held" to distinguish it from "not entered" would suffice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

dsharrai wrote:I agree it seems that leaving it blank(which is the only option I'm seeing right now) or putting a 0 would not be the most accurate way to record a Stake Conference weekend. Mainly because, as has been mentioned, it will throw off the percentage ....
It appears that you had a Sunday without a sacrament meeting in January. If you look at your numbers, you can verify that the average for January is calculated correctly and the Sunday with no reported attendance is excluded from the average.
dsharrai wrote:My guess is that the church will be updating this in the future with a drop down menu for General and Stake Conference and/or, as was mentioned, Sundays that for whatever reason church was not held.
The Church won't be updating this in the future with a drop-down menu for Sundays where church is not held.

Here is the definitive answer: Last week, I walked over to the desk of the lead developer on that team and asked him about this. Sundays with no attendance entered (blank or zero) are excluded from the average. If you don't have sacrament meeting on a given week, don't enter a value.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

In preparing January's monthly ward statistics to submit to our stake, I tried to match the average calculated in LCR. I can approximate the same percentage two ways with a slight variance: 1) the average of the attendance across the 4 weeks in January divided by the average of the ward membership across the 4 weeks of January; 2) take a percentage each week based on that week's membership and then average the 4 percentages. This is a slight adjustment to the former practice of taking the average of attendance divided by the end-of-month membership count. Does this match the experience of others?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The average is calculated based on the membership each week. You are correct that this is slightly different from how it was previously calculated.
JVerNooy

Post by JVerNooy »

I have the same concern as rmwr.
Wouldn't posting a zero for the week of stake conference negatively impact the average attendance?
This will actually be an issue at least 4 times throughout the year (2 stake + 2 general conferences).
If there isn't a feature where "conference" (or something else along those lines) can be input for attendance on a particular Sunday, then maybe there should be? Perhaps in the form of a checkbox?

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”