Gospel library app crashes on loading

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel library app crashes on loading

Post by sbradshaw »

marshallcl wrote:iPad Pro 9.7 inch, running iPad OS 14.1. Since updating Gospel Library to version 5.10.0 three days ago, the app crashes on loading. The splash screen with the Christus icon appears for about 12 seconds, then vanishes. I cannot get it to open. I have been using the Gospel Library app since it was first available, without any problems until now. I am reluctant to delete and reinstall, in case I lose my extensive marking, annotations and data, which is a warning Apple gives when considering this option. Don't know what to do next. Library on my iPad was the centre of my daily gospel study. The app still works on my iPhone running iOS 14.1 (but screen too small for regular study.)
birdfeeder wrote:My gospel app won’t load as of today. The icon turns on for a few seconds, then turns off. I don’t want to reload the app as I have almost the whole Book of Mormon marked and don’t want to lose it. What can I do?
Are you still having this issue?

If you go to Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org or Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, you can check to see if you recent notes and highlights are there – if they are, you shouldn't need to worry about losing them by deleting and reinstalling the app. That said, deleting and reinstalling the app would remove any screens or study plans you have, as well as any downloaded media you might have, which isn't ideal...
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
MarshallCL

Re: Gospel library app 5.10.0 in iPad Pro crashes on loading

Post by MarshallCL »

marshallcl wrote:iPad Pro 9.7 inch, running iPad OS 14.1. Since updating Gospel Library to version 5.10.0 three days ago, the app crashes on loading. The splash screen with the Christus icon appears for about 12 seconds, then vanishes. I cannot get it to open. I have been using the Gospel Library app since it was first available, without any problems until now. I am reluctant to delete and reinstall, in case I lose my extensive marking, annotations and data, which is a warning Apple gives when considering this option. Don't know what to do next. Library on my iPad was the centre of my daily gospel study. The app still works on my iPhone running iOS 14.1 (but screen too small for regular study.)
I bit the bullet: deleted Gospel Library then re-installed it. It now opens smoothly, and apparently no data has been lost. I'm a happy man!
goingto

Post by goingto »

I am having the same issue. I am running iOS 14.2 on an iPhone 6s. When I updated to version 5.10 (end of October) the app would show the church logo for about 10 seconds, then the time banner appears at the top of the phone, run a couple seconds then crash. I updated to 5.10.1 and the problem has persisted. I have waited for an update because I don’t want to delete and reinstall the app. I don’t want to lose everything I’ve downloaded. Any thoughts of where the app is getting stuck?
Aschafe7

Post by Aschafe7 »

I tried the internet sugestiones. Didn’t work. What did work is deleting the app and then downloading it again. It didn’t save my book marks, but it did save what I previously downloaded.
ldwalker

Post by ldwalker »

Same issue for me. Recent update causes app to attempt to load with a white screen, then crashes on my iPad Air and my wife’s.
ldwalker

Post by ldwalker »

After deleting and reinstalling the app we finally got it to successfully launch again after seeing a white screen rendered for 10-20 seconds. However, it took us several attempts (uninstall and reinstall) to finally achieve a working result.
soren.pack@gmail.com

Post by soren.pack@gmail.com »

Everytime I try to open the app it crashes immediately. I have tried restarting my phone, using it with and without wifi, and uninstalling and reinstalling it. I do not know what to do next
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

soren.pack@gmail.com wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 am Everytime I try to open the app it crashes immediately. I have tried restarting my phone, using it with and without wifi, and uninstalling and reinstalling it. I do not know what to do next
You may need to contact the Gospel Library support team:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/learn/mobile-applications/gospel-library-support?lang=eng
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you on iOS 14? It seems like there's a crash affecting a lot of users on iOS 14. You could try upgrading to iOS 15 (all devices that support iOS 14 also support iOS 15).
dsonntag

Post by dsonntag »

I have the same problem. OiS 14.6 . iPhone 6. Tried reinstalling, restarting, disconnecting to WiFi. Still not working.

laureladybug wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 am It keeps crashing every time I open my iPhone x too. I've also done all the regular fixes... Reinstalled the app, turned the phone off/on again. Changed wifi/cell networks. Nothing is helping. I'm so sad! And frustrated!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”