How do I feed audio into a laptop from the chapel audio system?

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
level43

Re: How do I feed audio into a laptop from the chapel audio system?

Post by level43 »

They should be transmitting digitally but I don't know if anything is available or not for this application. Seems like it should be. So much old technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

level43 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:02 pm They should be transmitting digitally
Huh?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
level43

Post by level43 »

Not sure what "huh?" means but if you were not aware, analog radio transmissions such as this are slowly being phased out of existence and being replaced with narrow band digital formats such as DMR, P25, NXDN, ATSC-DTV, etc. Public service, BYU, ham radio, Broadcast TV, sattelite radio, etc. have switched over. These Comtek systems are bandwidth hogs.
It was previously mentioned that a receiver with DSP was useful in filtering out noise for this application and I just added that digital transmissions would further enhance the experience or even reduce the need for DSP.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

level43 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:46 am I just added that digital transmissions would further enhance the experience or even reduce the need for DSP.
Ok, so you were talking about a future direction rather than what's happening now.

The main drive for going digital has been to find space for cell phones. The latest causality being C-band satellite making way for 5G. However, I don't think there's much interest in 72 MHz.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”