Ministering Companionships

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Ministering Companionships

Post by jdlessley »

The Ministering [Brothers/Sisters] - Proposed Assignments page functions as a sandbox to work out changes without those changes going public. Only those with permissions needed to edit ministering assignments can view or work through changes on the proposed assignments. Once the needed changes have been made then the bishop can be informed of the proposed assignments and he can review them and either publish them or you can publish them (click the 'Review and Publish Assignments' button).

Starting the process on the Ministering Brothers - Proposed Assignments page is done by either starting with a blank page or with the current assignments and working from there. If your predecessor was in the process of working changes the page may not be blank. You can start afresh by clicking the 'Start Over' button. This clears the page. You may find it helpful to begin by using the assignments on the Ministering Brothers - Current Assignments page by clicking the 'Use Current Assignments' button.

If you have any further questions your ward clerk should be able to help you. In the case he is not familiar with the ministering assignment tools then come back here with specific questions and we will be able to provide further assistance. There are other threads/topics discussing the ministering assignments tools in this (Leader and Clerk Resources) forum.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
vipdoc

Post by vipdoc »

Is it possible for multiple families to minister to each other? Example, 5 different families are assigned to minister to each other and all are companions to one another.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Is it possible for multiple families to minister to each other? Example, 5 different families are assigned to minister to each other and all are companions to one another.
For a general answer, multiple companionships cannot be assigned to minister to the same family. Trying to do so will result in the following message in LCR upon trying to make the second assignment:
This Household has already been assigned to [names of companionship members]. Saving this assignment will reassign them to this companionship
I suppose you might be able to create a "mega-companionship" which includes all of the adult members of the five families in that single companionship, and then they are assigned to minister to those five families (I don't know if this is possible in LCR, never tried it). If the Bishop approves of this arrangement due to specific considerations, that might be an option. But given the fact that multiple companionships are unable to minister to the same family, it seems like this possible "workaround" may not be following the intended purpose of ministering companionship assignments.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

There is a limit of 3 companions (2 if it's husband and wife)
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kd7mha wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:14 pm There is a limit of 3 companions (2 if it's husband and wife)
And I would be surprised if the ministers could minister to their own family. It would be interesting to see if someone could minister to the family of someone who ministers to them.

It would be interesting to figure out what is the tightest "circle" of ministering that LCR allows. ("A ministers to B, who ministers to C, who ministers to A" type of thing.) I'm guessing that 5 families is too small unless someone can belong to two ministering companionships or you allow a "companionship" of one. Off the top of my head, I think minimum group size is 6.

- A and B minister to C and D.
- C and D minister to E and F.
- E and F minister to A and B.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:23 pmAnd I would be surprised if the ministers could minister to their own family. It would be interesting to see if someone could minister to the family of someone who ministers to them.
I no longer am in a role to test, but I seem to recall that a companionship could be assigned to minister to the family of one of the members of the companionship. I could be remembering incorrectly, though.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:20 pm I seem to recall that a companionship could be assigned to minister to the family of one of the members of the companionship.
Yes, families have always been able to minister to each other and be recorded as such on the system.

And the same person can be in multiple companionships and have multiple ministering assignments.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”