Gospel library app not recognizing internet connection

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
DvJnMrtn

Gospel library app not recognizing internet connection

Post by DvJnMrtn »

I've got some new android phones, Revvel, from tMobile. We keep seeing an error message saying that the app needs an internet connection and try again when a connection had been established. This message comes in some of seeing wireless and data connections. Help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel library app not recognizing internet connection

Post by russellhltn »

Some have reported fixing it by going into airplane mode, firing up the app, and then turning airplane mode off. You only have to do that once for the app to get itself straightened out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you connected to a VPN? Gospel Library has issues installing content while connected to a VPN on Android 6 and up, due to how these versions of Android differentiate between network types. This will be fixed in Gospel Library 5.3.0. Some VPNs also have web filtering, which could potentially block Gospel Library content servers, which adds another factor (some web filtering services, such as T-Mobile's Web Guard, are known to block the Church's content servers). Finally, there's a known issue affecting a subset of devices (Galaxy S5 on Android 6 is one example) where the "Limit Mobile Network Use" setting (if it's on) will prevent installing content even when connected to Wi-Fi. This will also be fixed in Gospel Library 5.3.0.

So, some possible workarounds: 1) Temporarily disable your VPN, if you have one installed, to see if that fixes the problem; 2) Check for any content blockers or web filters installed as apps or as services on your network; and 3) See if you have "Limit Mobile Network Use" turned on.

I believe the workaround mentioned by russellhltn applies to the first case, where you're using a VPN, due to the fact that, when you reconnect to the internet, there's a delay for a few seconds before the VPN becomes enabled again. That few seconds of a regular Wi-Fi or cellular connection is what Gospel Library needs to establish a connection.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
nielorcutt

Post by nielorcutt »

In have this problem with my Android tablet, but not my Android phone. My house has no VPN. The tablet app doesn't see the network at the chapel either, but the phone app does. All other apps on the tablet connect OK in both places.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

nielorcutt wrote:In have this problem with my Android tablet, but not my Android phone. My house has no VPN. The tablet app doesn't see the network at the chapel either, but the phone app does. All other apps on the tablet connect OK in both places.
What version of Android does your tablet have, and what version of Gospel Library? Do you have any pending software updates? Have you installed any web filtering or security apps that could be filtering network traffic?
nielorcutt

Post by nielorcutt »

My tablet has Android 9 and my phone has Android 10. I have not installed any filtering apps, unless they came preinstalled.
rhstevens

Post by rhstevens »

Suggestions did not work. I have an Android 5.0.2
Gundersen

Post by Gundersen »

I have Android 12 on an S7 Samsung tablet I have this exact same problem I tried installing deleting 4x clearing the cache using airplane mode connecting to multiple several different network connections doesn't seem to make any difference I can do a Speedtest and download things from the church website all other internet functions work well with speeds as high as 50 and 60 megs. ..?.....? The app keeps telling me I have no internet connection and will not even start
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gundersen wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:48 am I have Android 12 on an S7 Samsung tablet I have this exact same problem I tried installing deleting 4x clearing the cache using airplane mode connecting to multiple several different network connections doesn't seem to make any difference I can do a Speedtest and download things from the church website all other internet functions work well with speeds as high as 50 and 60 megs. ..?.....? The app keeps telling me I have no internet connection and will not even start
Do you have any VPN apps or content-blocking/filtering services turned on that could be blocking internet access for the app?
ajerrynelson

Post by ajerrynelson »

Just got a new Moto G Power with Android 11. Installed the Gospel library (version 6.1.2 612002.12) and it is giving me the "Gospel Library needs an internet connection to load its starting content" error when I try to start it.
I don't have any content blockers, filters or VPN.
I have tried the Airplane mode suggestion without success.
I can use Chrome to open churchofjesuschrist.org and view/download content fine, which I know is not the same, but does confirm the internet connection is working.
I also installed the Member Tools app and it works fine.
Last edited by ajerrynelson on Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”