Where is the Youth Protection Training Report?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Where is the Youth Protection Training Report?

Post by sbradshaw »

alariss wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:32 pm Has everyone started letting their wards know that its time to recertify? We just started reminding our members, and next week at ward council I will, as Ward Clerk, provide this to the different presidencies. Talk to your ward clerks have them go to reports > Children and Youth Protection this will populate a list of prescribed from SL which of your members have completed, coming due or past due on this training. If your member is not required to complete this due to their calling, such as a Ward Clerk for example, they will not show up on this list. Good luck.
Is there a regular time of year that everyone needs to recertify? I assumed that everyone's training cycle was different depending on when they received their calling.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It's been a couple of years since I was in the Clerk saddle, but our ward did a big push when this first came out so most were completed about the same time. I believe they expire based on the anniversary of when they were taken so there could be a bunch coming all due at the same time if they were completed about the same time on the last round. But with calling changes, there will probably be others due at different times so this is something a clerk might want to check monthly and report to the ward council so they can work with individuals who need to retake the training before they go past due. I always wished that the church had set it up so individuals could see their own status (so they could self-manage it), but it doesn't work that way.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am Is there a regular time of year that everyone needs to recertify? I assumed that everyone's training cycle was different depending on when they received their calling.
As I understand it, the training lasts for three years. Our ward recently held a training push, and I thought to myself, yeah, I should be okay. I took it a couple of years ago and the training should still be good for a while. But when I dug out my electronic certificate to send it to the clerk, I saw that I only had a month left before it would expire.

So I did the training again. As they say, time flies when you are having fun. Or something like that.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

lajackson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:32 pm
sbradshaw wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am Is there a regular time of year that everyone needs to recertify? I assumed that everyone's training cycle was different depending on when they received their calling.
As I understand it, the training lasts for three years. Our ward recently held a training push, and I thought to myself, yeah, I should be okay. I took it a couple of years ago and the training should still be good for a while. But when I dug out my electronic certificate to send it to the clerk, I saw that I only had a month left before it would expire.

So I did the training again. As they say, time flies when you are having fun. Or something like that.
Actually, Kermit says, "time's fun when you are having flies."
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

How do I see when my certification expires?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

terrysackett wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:24 pm How do I see when my certification expires?
You will have to ask your ward clerk, or a member of the bishopric, what your training expiration date is.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

jdlessley wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:57 pm You will have to ask your ward clerk, or a member of the bishopric, what your training expiration date is.
Okay, thanks. That’s unnecessarily inconvenient. If I had realized that four months ago, I would have checked it myself before I was released from the bishopric and printed it. :lol:
spowzer

Protection of youth and children notifications?

Post by spowzer »

"We are constantly striving to be better and do more, and we invite others to join us in such efforts." https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... abuse-case

How can the Church make this statement when it does not have so much as an automated notification system for expiring protection of you and children trainings? - The only global training on the subject?

Why didn't I receive any notification of the pending expiration of my training?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Protection of youth and children notifications?

Post by jdlessley »

spowzer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm Why didn't I receive any notification of the pending expiration of my training?
You will have to pass that question to those who can respond and/or direct the effort to make that happen. This is done by submitting feedback using the feedback link found at the bottom of most church website pages in the footer. The service missionaries will forward the feedback to the appropriate person or organization with responsibility for the protection of children and youth training program.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Re: Protection of youth and children notifications?

Post by mevans »

spowzer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm "We are constantly striving to be better and do more, and we invite others to join us in such efforts." https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... abuse-case

How can the Church make this statement when it does not have so much as an automated notification system for expiring protection of you and children trainings? - The only global training on the subject?
As jdlessley mentioned, submitting Feedback on this is a great idea.

Regarding your quote and wondering about the church's statement: As we study the workings of God throughout the history of this earth, it's usually helpful to understand the actions being taken in context of what is happening in societal context. Just as learning about context can help us better understand the old testament, or early church history of the restored gospel at the times of Joseph Smith, it can also help us understand the church's present-day actions in an unfortunate situation.

The statement you quoted is from a public press release and related to pending litigation. The audience is the media and the general public. Statements, such as your quote, have been carefully written and reviewed by church legal counsel before being released. It's basically a short, quotable, positive-sounding, meaningless, non-committal statement. Many organizations in our society issue such statements (for example, look at the recent CEO statements from tech companies regarding big layoffs...short, quotable, positive-sounding, meaningless, non-committal statements). We live in a litigious society and organizations are not going to make any public statements that could be used against them in any pending or future litigation.

The church's goal is to help the gospel move forward throughout the earth while navigating the legal and political situations of our society. A statement in a talk from Elder Holland in the April 2009 General Conference opened my eyes somewhat as to how God might work through difficult societal situations in order to help the overall gospel move forward. He said "We don’t know all that was going on here, nor do we know of protective counsel which the Savior may have given to His Apostles privately..." (Talk reference: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e-with-him; note a footnote pointing to a talk from President Kimball at BYU that I have not read.) The scriptures gave us the public story of the behavior of Jesus' disciples at a difficult time, but we don't know what may have happened behind the scenes that led to that behavior.

The adversary can certainly use such positive-sounding quotes as a wedge of discouragement to encourage church members to let go of the iron rod when something doesn't seem right with the church's organizational behavior. I hope my thoughts provided some helpful context as to why you might read such statements and wonder why something doesn't seem like you hope it should be. The church's earthly leadership consists of imperfect humans who are seeking inspiration from God to do the best they can.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”