Wireless Network Adapter for Xerox VersaLink B405

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
drepouille

Wireless Network Adapter for Xerox VersaLink B405

Post by drepouille »

We just received a new Xerox VersaLink B405 copier for our meetinghouse library. Is there any justification for purchasing a Wireless Network Adapter for it?

My thoughts:
- Will allow us to print from computers in the meetinghouse over the meetinghouse network.
- Will allow us to update the firmware of the copier.

Will it allow members to print from their cell phones?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
nateegan

Re: Wireless Network Adapter for Xerox VersaLink B405

Post by nateegan »

I can't recall which model of Xerox my meetinghouse has, but before the Church / FM group gave us more than one AP, we had gotten Netgear Wi-Fi range extenders and when they finally got us full coverage with Cisco, we had the range extenders free to use and I turned it from an extender into just a bridge so I plugged a network cable from the Xerox to Netgear and have it on the network.
We have used it to send the sacrament meeting program straight to it when a member couldn't make it but had put the program together and e-mailed it to us. The obvious caution for the clerk machines and other leader devices is that they don't send confidential info to them. (I know they could send it standing by it, but if it had a problem, it may hold on to the document and send it out later when they aren't around to grab it.)

Also FYI in order for iPhones & iPads to be able to print with Airprint, you have to go enter the latitude and longitude of where the printer is & make sure airprint is enabled.
Another thing, I had tried to set mine up so I could scan reciepts to my clerk machine to attach to the new reimbursement ways through LCR Finances, but could not get the printer able to communicate with the shared folder on the pc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nateegan wrote:I had tried to set mine up so I could scan reciepts to my clerk machine to attach to the new reimbursement ways through LCR Finances, but could not get the printer able to communicate with the shared folder on the pc.
That's probably not a good idea. Doing so opens up the machine to access from the local network. Anyone who knows the Windows login could get access to it. That's a potential security issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Last Sunday, I was able to print from my cell phone using the Android Xerox app. I also printed from the clerk's computer by setting the B405 up as a WSD device. I really doubt the Apple/Android cloud printing apps will work, but the Xerox app works.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Or just get Ethernet run to the library shift the money to FM budget.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

John, I thought seriously about running a CAT 5 cable from the mezzanine to the library. It would have been a short run. But the wireless network adapter works fine. I was even able to print a conference talk from the Android Gospel Library on my phone directly to the library printer/copier.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

drepouille wrote:John, I thought seriously about running a CAT 5 cable from the mezzanine to the library. It would have been a short run. But the wireless network adapter works fine. I was even able to print a conference talk from the Android Gospel Library on my phone directly to the library printer/copier.
I forget that I live in the land of milk and honey now where the Meetinghouse Internet project was not done at the whim of FM's decisions about where and how much ethernet was run. I have 4 buildings and every room that should have it has ethernet. And when the TM was updated to include Satellite info, I made a request and FM ran an additional cable to the cabinet to get it working with TM. Oh, the days outside of Utah having to wrestle the FM to get anything done. The economy of scale is a valuable asset when it can be used.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jdvarnon

Post by jdvarnon »

what is the copier admin password, my wireless is disabled.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdvarnon wrote:what is the copier admin password, my wireless is disabled.
If it's not the default listed in the user manual, no one here would know it (or post it in a public forum if they did).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdvarnon

Post by jdvarnon »

Thanks I found the password but wireless is disabled, does that mean my printer does not have the wireless feature?

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”