2 Adults needed for car travel to Stake Dances or other events?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jgoggan

Re: 2 Adults needed for car travel to Stake Dances or other events?

Post by jgoggan »

Good to have confirmation of what I was told by Risk Management in 2019 (see above).

I am curious -- was there something else referenced before that? I am curious what they are referring to by "here is an excerpt from a Q&A that may be helpful"? I'd like to see that original Q&A -- to have something written somewhere from the Church that states that (outside of responses to individual inquiries). I'd really like to be able to point people to something written by the church (such as the Q&A that they are referring to in their response to you). Do you know what it was? Or did they give a link, by chance?

Thanks!
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I won't suggest that different principles or policies should apply, but the reality is that for those living in areas outside the western States, the issue with travel and rides can be a severe ongoing challenge. As members are often spread out many miles from each other, getting consistent attendance to activities is part of the fun of being a leader. I 100% agree with the Church's emphasis on children and leader safety, and it's our job to be proactive in planning and follow-up. It's just good for everyone to always keep in mind how this impacts the Church "out in the mission field", even if that doesn't change things.
dmtm1976

Post by dmtm1976 »

What about when doing ministering assignments.
I have always felt strongly that adults should not be assigned in a companionship with a youth in ministering assignments unless they are family.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I have always felt strongly that adults should not be assigned in a companionship with a youth in ministering assignments unless they are family.
For reference, the current Handbook 21.2.2 has specific guidance for youth ministering assignments. Reading that entire section, my understanding is that (as appropriate) the Church recognizes the blessings for youth to be assigned to non-parent adults as ministering companions. And that this should be done carefully with full input from the parents, youth, and Bishop. And extra care should always be exercised in any one-on-one situations.

While I understand your perspective and the real concerns we all share, I would consider if there are appropriate ways to follow the guidance in GHB 21.2.2, that might be a blessing in many youth's lives.

Return to “General Discussions”