Gospel Library not Syncing on iPad

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
jlconlin

Gospel Library not Syncing on iPad

Post by jlconlin »

I’ve been a long user of Gospel Library. Today, I realized that my iPad was not syncing, but my iPhone is syncing. I’ve tried logging out and logging back in, but that doesn’t seem to work. The only indication I get is that “Sync failed”. I haven’t changed my Church Account username or password recently.

Please help me get syncing back. I’m a Seminary teacher so the syncing is crucial for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library not Syncing on iPad

Post by russellhltn »

What version of Gospel Library are you running on the iPad?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jlconlin

Post by jlconlin »

I’m running Gospel Library version 5.3.1 on iOS 12.4.1 on the latest iPad Pro. (My employer won’t let me upgrade to iPadOS… yet.)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you force close the app (by swiping it out of the app switcher / recent apps), it should attempt to sync again when you re-open it. Does that work?
Are there specific notes or bookmarks you're noticing aren't syncing? Have you checked at Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org in addition to your iPhone to see if your annotations have been synced?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jlconlin

Post by jlconlin »

I have force quit the app (several times). There are several annotations (highlights, notes, etc.) that I have not seen get propagated to my iPhone or the website. Also, annotations from the website are not getting to my iPad, but they are getting to my iphone.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Have you changed your Church Account password anytime in the past little while? If so, you'll need to sign out on the iPad, then sign back in with your new password.
jlconlin

Post by jlconlin »

I have not changed my Church Account password recently. Even still, I have logged out and logged back in several times, to no avail.
jlconlin

Post by jlconlin »

I wonder if I have used some odd character in a note somewhere that is causing a problem with syncing. Is this possible? How can I find/fix it?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jlconlin wrote:I wonder if I have used some odd character in a note somewhere that is causing a problem with syncing. Is this possible? How can I find/fix it?
You would need to identify the note with a special character that's not syncing (that's the hard part :) ). But it's possible that's the issue. If it is the issue, I think you would see a "Sync Errors" count under your username in Gospel Library settings.
alicejensen

Post by alicejensen »

I've been having this EXACT same issue last week, and somehow, after updating, upgrading, making sure both iOS devices were on same version of Library, quitting, relaunching app, and more! they finally synced for real. But then today I noticed the iPad wasn't syncing even though I quit it and relaunched it and it said it synced 3 seconds ago (or whatever). Anything done on web synced to iPhone and vice versa, but not to iPad. Quitting and relaunching seemed to help today, and what I hadn't done last week, which also forced it to actually sync, was to sign out and sign back in again (did not change a password, either). This is very strange - glad to know I'm not alone in this. How does the sync function, anyway, aside from logging out/in, or quitting, relaunching app? Is it pushed immediately, or every so many minutes? It would be nice if there was a "sync now" button.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”