Help with baptism record

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tja2814

Help with baptism record

Post by tja2814 »

We have a youth member (16) who was baptized 6 months ago. He came to the U. S. from Guatemala, met the missionaries, and was baptized. He did not come through legal channels. When he crossed the border, he changed his name, birthday, and other personal information which, when he was baptized, gave to the missionaries for recording purposes. Recently, a family found out about him, took him into their home, and are helping him become legal. However, we recently discovered his name and personal info on his baptism and membership record is false. What do we do in this situation? Is this something as simple as changing the record? Do we need to re-baptize him? Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Help with baptism record

Post by russellhltn »

If I understand correctly, he was baptized here, but with false information. In that case, there is no doubt that he was baptized, just that his information is not correct. In that case, I believe the correct course of action would be to correct his record to match his legal information. (Handbook 1: 13.6.1)

However, you may wish to talk to support, since trying to change both his name and his birthdate could trigger something.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tja2814

Post by tja2814 »

Is the record being changed all that is required even if the baptism ordinance was performed under the wrong name? We do not need to do the ordinance again using the correct name?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not one of the things listed in Handbook 1 16.1.10. But I'd check with support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would suggest that your bishop counsel with his stake president. If the stake president does not know what to do, he will know how to obtain that information.

I hesitate to tell you what the answer was when I was dealing with these issues, because the answer I received many years ago from the Office of the First Presidency may have changed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”