Microsoft Teams set up guidance

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

stevecline

Microsoft Teams set up guidance

Post by stevecline »

There was a recommendation to use Microsoft Teams as a replacement for the now-retired PVC system. Link to start is here:

https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/free

I started down this path, but saw that I would be the administrator for the group - is it better to use a generic email as the owner, e.g. MyStakeExecSec@gmail, ?

Anyone put together a set up guide or wiki page on it yet?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Microsoft Teams set up guidance

Post by sbradshaw »

Check the terms of use; it might be against the terms to have a shared email account as an admin; and transferring ownership of an email account is a hassle. I believe it's possible to transfer ownership of a team from one person to another within Teams. I would recommend that you have multiple admins for your stake (stake president, a clerk, and an executive secretary), each with their own account. Any of them would then be able to add and remove owners/admins as callings change.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
stevecline

Post by stevecline »

I agree that those are desirable characteristics, I was just hoping someone had already done the groundwork and could verify :-) - looks like I may be that guy. Will report back here, and make notes as I progress. First step will be to see if I can make myself, stake clerk, and ExecSec as admins
mevans

Post by mevans »

What does the church think of using tools such as Teams (or Slack) for church calling work? It could be useful, but I could see it going the wrong way and personal information working its way into non-protected systems.

Until I saw your post, I didn't realize that Teams had a free mode and could exist outside of an organizational Office 365 subscription.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”