Page 2 of 6

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 pm
by lajackson
EarloftheWest wrote:
lajackson wrote:I have a much better password, however, than the one proposed. Easier to remember. Harder to type.
Or, you could change the password to fit the one the Church is using. Then, all your church friends that come over will automatically be able to connect to your WiFi.
They already do that. This will really confuse all of them.

At least when I choose a new network name they will not have to figure out how to spell it. It will just show up in their WiFi list and I will tell them to use the old password. But it will not make as much sense. And my neighbors will drive by the church and wonder if I have moved.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm
by EarloftheWest
lajackson wrote:
EarloftheWest wrote:
lajackson wrote:I have a much better password, however, than the one proposed. Easier to remember. Harder to type.
Or, you could change the password to fit the one the Church is using. Then, all your church friends that come over will automatically be able to connect to your WiFi.
They already do that. This will really confuse all of them.

At least when I choose a new network name they will not have to figure out how to spell it. It will just show up in their WiFi list and I will tell them to use the old password. But it will not make as much sense. And my neighbors will drive by the church and wonder if I have moved.
:)

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm
by ccanlas3
We are currently testing, as well as doing some early deployment for our Church wireless network. There will be more information and instruction to follow.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm
by russellhltn
ccanlas3 wrote:There will be more information and instruction to follow.
Just hit my inbox. It sounds like "Liahona" is available now, "LDSAccess" will continue until April 15 to provide transition.

There's a new password for "Liahona". Also, a "Terms of Use" which must be agreed to each day.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm
by lajackson
The Notice says there is additional information for the STS, but I did not find anything new at the location specified.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 pm
by russellhltn
lajackson wrote:The Notice says there is additional information for the STS, but I did not find anything new at the location specified.
That link it just to a section of the Help Center. I didn't see anything new.

But re-reading the letter, I noticed this:
Users need to enter the password only once in their device settings, but the Terms of Use must be accepted once each day a user accesses the network. This agreement helps manage available bandwidth by reminding users of the network’s intended purpose and by preventing unintentional use by devices performing automatic functions (such as updates) when connected to wi-fi upon entry to a Church building.

That should help buildings with limited bandwidth. Fortunately for me, I no longer have buildings that fit that description.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm
by lajackson
I am a little surprised at the lengthy overlap. A few months ago my daughter's meetinghouse saw Liahona one Sunday along with LDSAccess, and the next Sunday LDSAccess was gone.

The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it. As STS, I expect I will hear comments. One more thing to do upon arrival at Church each time. But I am good with the explanation.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm
by russellhltn
lajackson wrote:I am a little surprised at the lengthy overlap. A few months ago my daughter's meetinghouse saw Liahona one Sunday along with LDSAccess, and the next Sunday LDSAccess was gone.
I'm guessing they got an earful on that and decided to increase the overlap. I notice that it takes place just after the April General Conference "freeze".
lajackson wrote:The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it.
I'm sure if you use public WiFi, you're used to it. I know about it when staying in hotel rooms.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am
by Mikerowaved
lajackson wrote:The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it.
I'd be shocked if more than 1% even reads it.

Re: SSID Changing?

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:33 am
by lajackson
Mikerowaved wrote:I'd be shocked if more than 1% even reads it.
I drove by the meetinghouse while I was out and about last evening. It is a two pager. You have to scroll down to get to the accept button. But the font size is quite large.

I expect that after a few weeks the members will all have an idea what it says.