Windos 10 Activation Key

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
RiverMist35

Windos 10 Activation Key

Postby RiverMist35 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:58 pm

I just upgraded our 2 of our Windows 7 Pro computers to Windows 10 in our FHC. Both are asking for a Windows 10 Activation Key. I spoke with support once but what they had me do did not fix the issue and now they're not calling me back. Must be really busy. ANyone else run into this issue and have a solution?

Janet

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windos 10 Activation Key

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:14 pm

Did they instruct you to upgrade Windows? My understanding is the church is using an extended program to allow Win7 to continue to get updates. Perhaps until the hardware ages out and becomes ready for replacement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Biggles

Postby Biggles » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:29 am

RiverMist35 wrote:I just upgraded our 2 of our Windows 7 Pro computers to Windows 10 in our FHC. Both are asking for a Windows 10 Activation Key. I spoke with support once but what they had me do did not fix the issue and now they're not calling me back. Must be really busy. ANyone else run into this issue and have a solution?

Janet

Windows 10 is only licensed for specific Dell (In the UK anyway) models. The models that can be upgraded are documented in the FHC Application Finder app, which is only available on an official FHC computer.

The appropriate FHC images are also available from the same app. Using any other method to upgrade FHC computer will not work correctly.

djstoddard

Postby djstoddard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Been doing this about 9 years for my Stake.

I have Dell optiplex 9030's, which were bought in the age of Windows 10.. and are very capable of running it (although slow, it would have been better if they had been smart an purchased SSD's)

So you are telling me.... I can't upgrade to the free Windows 10 this should have been purchased with?

I really wish the church was better at communication on changes... this is pathetic... as a STS I really have felt in the dark on all the ongoing changes to tech.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:53 pm

As the STS many years ago, when I wanted to upgrade FHC computers to Windows 7, I called FHC Support. They discussed various upgrade options with me, and we decided to submit a standard form to them, signed by my stake president, to provide DVDs with the standard Windows 7 FHC image to each FHC I supported at the time. They kept track of which computers had OEM licenses, and which had licenses purchased for the sake of upgrading to Windows 7. However, I have no idea how such things are done today. I only know that a call to FHC Support is the first step.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Family History Centers”