Can parents be added to the 'Youth' circle

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
thedayfamily

Can parents be added to the 'Youth' circle

Post by thedayfamily »

The gospel living app has a great 'Whatsapp' like facility that we would love to use for our youth to stay in touch and know what's going on. Can youth leaders (administrators to the youth 'circle') add parents to the youth circle? Parents inevitably need to know what's going on with youth group conversations and I am reluctant to move away from WhatsApp if the parents are going to be left out the conversation.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Can parents be added to the 'Youth' circle

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't have access currently, but I believe that parents are able to have visibility into their children's circles by default.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

sbradshaw wrote:I don't have access currently, but I believe that parents are able to have visibility into their children's circles by default.
From screen shots online, parents are added to their children's circles automatically.

Same goes for your callings. You'll be added to relevant circles automatically.
"Accept what you can't change, and change what you can't accept, but know the difference between the two."
fletch74

Post by fletch74 »

jokamura wrote:From screen shots online, parents are added to their children's circles automatically.

Same goes for your callings. You'll be added to relevant circles automatically.
I just checked this in the app: as an example, parents are absent in our deacons quorum circle. I also understand we're currently unable to manually add anyone to a given circle. It could be the functionality is different for the "children's" circles (those turning 12 after the current year).

I also just specifically checked the youth circle: the only adults I see are youth leaders (their calling).
dougtew

Post by dougtew »

Parents have visibility of all their children's circle. This is located under "My Children's Circles." This is by default and looks like parents are not listed as part of the circle.
tim_eisenbrandt

Post by tim_eisenbrandt »

Parents can currently see the circles, but when will they be able to see the calendar items for youth?
annapavkov

Post by annapavkov »

Parents are “view only” on youth circles for their children by default. This is a problem. I don’t receive notifications when new messages are posted even though I have my notifications turned on, and I cannot respond with any questions or comments. Ideally our youth would all be on top of this communication, and be discussing all new items with their parents, but when we are talking about 11 year olds, even if they do have device, they’re not always on them and can’t be counted on to relay important information.
davidlynntaylor

Post by davidlynntaylor »

I’d like to know if there’s an update on this?
We need to have the parents be more than View-only in order to implement this tool…specifically parents (as well as the youth) need to be able to view and post to their children’s circles (as many youth are borrowing their parents phones for this communication) and the parents in addition to the youth need to get notifications when a post is made.
sanaya

Post by sanaya »

yes, parents can be added to the youth circles, but only the circle administrators can do it.
Go to the circle
Click on the people icon at the top right
Then click on the pencil icon in the lower right when you see the list of people already in the circle.
You can add people by calling in the ward or individually.
janiebt

Post by janiebt »

Our ward is transitioning away from WhatsApp and I have to say, it's frustrating that parents are defaulted as "view only" for teen kids' circles. My 12 year old deacon doesn't have a phone, along with most of his quorum, but I cannot send questions to his leaders via the Deacons circle! Is the Church aware of this issue? Seems like a giant can of worms.

Return to “Gospel Living App”