2020 Budget rollover balance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cchang

2020 Budget rollover balance

Post by cchang »

When does the prior year's remaining budget balance rollover to 2020? I have not seen them rollover yet and currently we are showing a negative balance since we are already seeing 2020 expenses come through.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 2020 Budget rollover balance

Post by russellhltn »

If you're talking about the funds, check your allocation category.

If you're talking about the spending plan, was that input for 2020?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cchang

Post by cchang »

russellhltn wrote:If you're talking about the funds, check your allocation category.

If you're talking about the spending plan, was that input for 2020?
When I go into the Budget tab it says the following. I would have expected to see the rollover balance at the bottom even if I haven't allocated any of the rollover balance. Where do I check the allocation category and the input?
Budget Balance as of 1/19/20
(123.45)
of 0.00
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cchang wrote:When I go into the Budget tab it says the following. I would have expected to see the rollover balance at the bottom even if I haven't allocated any of the rollover balance. Where do I check the allocation category and the input?
Budget Balance as of 1/19/20
(123.45)
of 0.00
Currently the LCR Budget does not display information that is available in MLS. The budget balance you see in LCR is the sum of the 2019 rollover plus the quarterly allocations plus the estimated quarterly allocations less expenses processed to date. To see the rollover amount you will have to go into MLS Finance > View/Edit Budget to see the rollover amount. If you expected a positive rollover from 2019 but see zero ($0) in the rollover amount you will need to speak to your stake clerk. They can use several methods to handle rollovers. If there is a zero amount and you expected a positive amount they notified headquarters to not pass through the rollover to your unit and they retained the rollover.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:The budget balance you see in LCR is the sum of the 2019 rollover plus the quarterly allocations plus the estimated quarterly allocations less expenses processed to date.
I don't think that's right. The little info button by the budget balance says "The bolded number represents the amount remaining of the assigned budget. The graph represents the percentage spent of the assigned budget." Since it talks about 'assigned' budgets I don't think it will ever be positive until you've assigned budget amounts to categories in MLS. I don't think the rollover and estimated quarterly allocations will affect this number.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The budget balance you see in LCR is the sum of the 2019 rollover plus the quarterly allocations plus the estimated quarterly allocations less expenses processed to date.
I don't think that's right. The little info button by the budget balance says "The bolded number represents the amount remaining of the assigned budget. The graph represents the percentage spent of the assigned budget." Since it talks about 'assigned' budgets I don't think it will ever be positive until you've assigned budget amounts to categories in MLS. I don't think the rollover and estimated quarterly allocations will affect this number.
Actually they do affect this number. Our unit has a positive rollover and we have the first quarter allowance and I have entered the estimates for the other three quarterly amounts. The bold large font amount is the total remaining budget amount and below it in smaller font is the total budget set up in MLS which includes the rollover, first quarter allowance, estimated amounts for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, if entered in MLS. Before I entered the estimated quarterly amounts it only included the rollover and the actual first quarter allowance. It now includes everything found on the MLS Finance View/Edit Budget page I entered. The "assigned budget" is the amounts that appear on the View/Edit Budget page whether the clerk has entered any amounts or not. As headquarters makes budget allocations those amounts will replace the clerk entered estimated amounts, if entered.

It takes a while for the estimated budget amounts the clerk enters to be reflected in the LCR budget amount after an MLS send/receive. The amounts I entered last Sunday last week did not appear in LCR until Monday. The Sunday the week before I had entered only the estimated quarterly amounts and the sum of those along with the rollover were included in the large bold font amount that Monday without any amounts allocated to any categories.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:Actually they do affect this number. Our unit has a positive rollover and we have the first quarter allowance and I have entered the estimates for the other three quarterly amounts. The bold large font amount is the total remaining budget amount and below it in smaller font is the total budget set up in MLS which includes the rollover, first quarter allowance, estimated amounts for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, if entered in MLS. Before I entered the estimated quarterly amounts it only included the rollover and the actual first quarter allowance. It now includes everything found on the MLS Finance View/Edit Budget page I entered. The "assigned budget" is the amounts that appear on the View/Edit Budget page whether the clerk has entered any amounts or not. As headquarters makes budget allocations those amounts will replace the clerk entered estimated amounts, if entered.

It takes a while for the estimated budget amounts the clerk enters to be reflected in the LCR budget amount after an MLS send/receive. The amounts I entered last Sunday last week did not appear in LCR until Monday. The Sunday the week before I had entered only the estimated quarterly amounts and the sum of those along with the rollover were included in the large bold font amount that Monday without any amounts allocated to any categories.
Well, there must be some other factor involved then. We've got a substantial rollover and I've entered the estimated quarterly allocations but I haven't assigned any amounts to any category. I entered the estimates last week. But currently my bold amount in LCR shows a negative number which matches the total amount we've spent this year and under it says 'of 0.00'.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There has got to be a delay in the sync with MLS and LCR. Just wait a day or two. Or... it is possible that if you have processed an expense for a category and you have yet to allocate funds to that category, or any categories, or something like that, there is a bug that results in a negative amount that the system can't resolve and it shows 0.00 for the remaining budget. Since we have not processed any expenses this year we are not experiencing the bug.
JD Lessley
cchang

Post by cchang »

jdlessley wrote:There has got to be a delay in the sync with MLS and LCR. Just wait a day or two. Or... it is possible that if you have processed an expense for a category and you have yet to allocate funds to that category, or any categories, or something like that, there is a bug that results in a negative amount that the system can't resolve and it shows 0.00 for the remaining budget. Since we have not processed any expenses this year we are not experiencing the bug.
It's been about 3 weeks and the sync hasn't happened from MLS to LCR. I haven't allocated any funds to the categories in MLS yet. Do I need to do that first in order to see the 2019 balance roll over to 2020? Even when I did not have any expenses processed in early 2020, I still did not see the rollover balance. I just hope that our rollover balance hasn't been taken away since we'll need that rollover balance to cover the 2019 expenses.
cchang

Post by cchang »

eblood66 wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Actually they do affect this number. Our unit has a positive rollover and we have the first quarter allowance and I have entered the estimates for the other three quarterly amounts. The bold large font amount is the total remaining budget amount and below it in smaller font is the total budget set up in MLS which includes the rollover, first quarter allowance, estimated amounts for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, if entered in MLS. Before I entered the estimated quarterly amounts it only included the rollover and the actual first quarter allowance. It now includes everything found on the MLS Finance View/Edit Budget page I entered. The "assigned budget" is the amounts that appear on the View/Edit Budget page whether the clerk has entered any amounts or not. As headquarters makes budget allocations those amounts will replace the clerk entered estimated amounts, if entered.

Well, there must be some other factor involved then. We've got a substantial rollover and I've entered the estimated quarterly allocations but I haven't assigned any amounts to any category. I entered the estimates last week. But currently my bold amount in LCR shows a negative number which matches the total amount we've spent this year and under it says 'of 0.00'.
Yes, this is what we are seeing too with a negative number but under it says 'of 0.00'. Anyone else seeing their rollover balance being updated correctly yet?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”